How do I switch from formula to milk?

I have a 12 month old who was BF for 11 mo. (I also had to give her about 8 oz. of formula a day after 8 mo. because birth control killed my milk supply).

She was on formula only by 11 1/2 mo. and now I want to know how to introduce milk and how long do I keep giving her a bottle? She still acts like she needs one before bed (around 8 PM) and is hungry by 4 AM. If I get rid of bottles....I guess I will be getting rid of those feeding also.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can either start the milk all at once, or you can mix a small amount of milk with the formula (make 1 oz less formula, add 1 oz milk, after a few days another oz less formula, add another oz milk, etc, til it's all milk). My doctor says off they bottle by 18 months - some say sooner, which I did, they were all off by 15 months. You can put formula and/or milk in a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• My twins just turned one and I used the transition to whole milk to also transition away from the bottle. I started with replacing one feeding (formla in a bottle) per day with whole milk in a sippy cup. Every few days (2-3), I upped the whole milk (never offering it in a bottle, just a sippy cup). The first bottle in the morning and the last bottle at night were the last ones to transition as my boys were at their grumpiest duing those times. It took us about 2 weeks to make a complete transition, but I never had to deal wih any tummy issues,or bottle withdrawl, it was a smooth transition.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I switched to milk in a bottle at 12 months and eliminated the bottle at 15 months. Don't be surprised if your child won't drink milk out of a cup. Many won't (i got lucky and my son did). I phased out the bottles one a week starting with his least "favorite" and ending with the nighttime. My son never needed the bottle to fall asleep so it was fairly easy to eliminate it. If your child needs it to fall asleep, you might try moving the bottle earlier to break that association before getting rid of it. Whatever you do, hide the bottles or get rid of them once you're done. The only time I had a problem was when my son spotted a bottle after he was done with them Threw a fit to try to get one. They were gone the next day....
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When my kids were ready for milk I'd give it to them in a bottle once the last can of formula was finished up. There was never really a problem. I'd also start them off with it warm and eventually let it be cooler and cooler. By 16 months they were atleast starting to ween off of bottles. My son was the hardest to get off the bottle I think because he was the first and we didn't want to see him upset like that.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well I can't tell you what to do, but this is what worked for us. First we switched to warm milk bottle feedings, then a few weeks later switched to sippy cups (but kept the feedings exactly the same otherwise), then a few weeks after that started phasing out feedings (one at a time).

Best of Luck!
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 12:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I just did my son all at once~ I gave him regular whole milk at 13 months and just switched and he seemed just fine and did good after that. Maybe that doesn't help, but he did fine. I couldn't bf because of some medical issues he had when he was a baby and so he was on formula up until he was 13 months and then we just went right to whole milk. Maybe try a little at a time? Good luck!
    HappySam

Answer by HappySam at 2:02 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have a 1 yr old. I went 1 bottle a day for about a week, then switched cold turkey. I did put 1/2 scoop of formula (simalic) in the milk at night time so that he would hear me shaking the bottle and the liquid would be a little thicker. I keep a can of formula for when we are out and need to make a bottle on the fly. I dont think my son realized the difference except it was cold milk and not room temp any more.... My son does prefer his milk out of an "adult cup" if he sees Dad drinking a glass (only dad?) he will walk up and open his mouth. But he wont take sippy cups? Who knows.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 3:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011