Can I still bf when my baby gets here?

The past few months, my OB has had me on Iron Supplements to get my iron back to normal. I found out I was anemic one night when I was taken to the ER for severe pains all over! (I was also dehydrated) My OB and primary doctor have been monitoring my iron to try and help me get it back to what its SUPPOSED to be! One of the nurses told me at the ER that night, that if I couldn't get my iron up I can't bf my baby when he/she gets here!

What else can I do to get my iron normal??

hopfmom2011

Asked by hopfmom2011 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't believe that, I have always nursed regardless of my iron counts.
    To get your iron up, eat foods nutrishious in iron, liver, peanut butter, protein foods... beans, ect. search iron fortified foods and eat that, take a vitamin a day too. Flintstone w/ iron.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• First off I would talk to your ob about it and not take a nurses suggestion with a grain of salt. But have you increased you iron rich foods like red meat and dark green veggies. Another thing to consider is encapsulating the placenta. I know it sounds nasty but if it is possible for you as well. One of the benefits is that it is high in natural iron.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That isn't true. You can BF even if your Iron is low. As long as you've got milk you can BF.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Um, that's a lie. If you keep taking your iron pills, you can still bf. Unless you are SEVERLY anemic, you're child is still going benefit.
    Anonymous

• Ummm,couldn't you just continue with the supplements?
    I'm sure once the baby is out and not dependent on the placenta for nourishment,your body will compensate

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Red meat has iron.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That's not true. I'm anemic and when I'm pregnant it drops dangerously low - I've had several blood transfusions over the years and I breastfed all 5 of my babies. Three out of 5 of them did end up needing additional iron sources, but infant cereal is a great source of that so it was never an issue, I just made sure that starting between 4-6 months they got at least two servings of rice/oatmeal every day.

Answer by missanc at 4:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• yea i agree i dot believe that will effect your bm bc i was with my daughter and came close to needing a transfusion and still breastfed her right after birth. but you need to eat very very well now and then, eat red meats, rasins, green veggies, sleep well,....hm there was someother food but i cant recall off hand right now.lol
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011