Ultrasound Vs Measurement???

Unfortunately, I am getting late prenatal care due to being out of the country for a while, and couldn't get medical. My ultrasound report says that the "measurements result in a sonographic estimated gestational age of 28 weeks and 2 days consistant with an EDD of 9/27/11 and concurrent with clinical history" "Estimated fetal gestational weight is 1188 gm." But at the top of the page it says, "Clinical Information: Size larger than dates". I saw my OBGYN today for the first time, and he measured my tummy and said I measure at 32 weeks. Which would be the most accurate? And could my OBGYN be wrong? I go next to see him next week, but this is bugging me. I also went in for the Glucose test also today, and waiting for those results as well. If I have diabetes, could that be why he measured me at 32 weeks when the Ultrasound said 28 weeks??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasound is sometimes better but its better to go off your LMP. With my son they said I was measuring 12 weeks when I knew I was 8 weeks since I wasn't having sex before then. (got pregnant first day my husband was back from deployment) My stomach measured 32 weeks when I was 26 weeks.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I told the doctor when my LMP was, and haven't bled after that. He said sometimes women think its a period when it's really not. But I bled the same and I always clot - I know, tmi sorry. :( Could he be wrong?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Go with what you feel is right. Doctors are wrong a lot. Its your body. If you know it was your period then it was. He's not you and doesnt know what your body is like. I would suggest seeing another doctor if he's telling you you're wrong about your own body and period.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• at 31 weeks my doctor measured 28cm, but my baby was at the 29 4days , so its all different
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Your lmp is usually most accurate, followed by ultrasound, and then by measuring size. I have always measured quite big, but my largest baby was 8 lbs 9 oz. But if you have gestational diabetes (I did), then yes it can result in a larger baby particularly if it's not well controlled.

Answer by missanc at 4:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• with my 1st dd i always messured at least 2weeks ahead of my gestational age...with this one when i was spose to be 6weeks and 5 days i was actually 8 weeks according to my ultrasound ..and when we went in for another ultrasound on the 1st they said she was growing ahead of schedual .....good luck hope that helps any
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i tried going off my lmp and according to that i should not be more than 27 weeks and seven days. um fyi i am actually 33 weeks. so take a deep breath and ask yur doc at yur next appt. always ask when you have a question do not hesitate to ask. i hope that was helpful:)
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 5:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• just be careful because my doctor done the very samething to me and his wrong dates lead up to my son being born to soon and was pre_mi and had to stay in the nicu for three weeks .....so i would say if you know your dates are more accurate than go with your dates ........
    lovevlj31

Answer by lovevlj31 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2011