If you can't see it, touch it, taste it, feel it or hear it - is your faith real?

Some things make me twist my head in disbelief that the question was even asked or the statement made -- Or this one: Man wrote/translated the Bible so it must be faulty,wrong, not real (or in other words untrue... fiction) - (because man is faulty - presumably)

But things like that make me ask things like this: Who named the sparrow? Who decided that white is white and blue is not green? Man? If we assume that what man writes is wrong - then there are absolutely no truths in this world at all.

Absurd, I know.

Ever heard someone say "If I wasn't there I wouldn't have believed it myself" - seems to me that this is the exact description of Faith. You have to have it to know it is real and once you have it - you may still no be able to articulate the argument of its existence. "Because my faith is not real *to you* does not mean that it's not real."

(Just a thought - food for conversation)

If a person can find peace in their life through their own faith, why would another want to tear them down for that? I know the sword has a double edge - and the cut can go both ways - I guess I'm just wondering what the motivation is for trying to tear down someone's faith - what can be gained from it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• what the motivation is for trying to tear down someone's faith - what can be gained from it?

I'm sure I will get down votes for this because it is not the popular answer but honestly, for many, it's a feeling of superiority over the other person.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Kudos pookiekins!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Faith by it's very definition is belief in that which is not proven, so the basis of your question does not make sense in context with the definition of faith.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I could ask you the same about your trust in your spouse.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• regardless of whether a sparrow should be called a sparrow, they are real, are they not? their existence can be proven. that being said, i don't care what other people have or don't have faith in, it's none of my business.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• faith is also confidence in a person or thing - my general point (about faith) was that if we accept that faith can't be real because it cannot be proven simply because man says so - yet we also say that the Bible can't be true because man wrote it - then we're contradicting
    ourselves.
    The question is that if someone exercises or proclaims their faith - what is the motivation for trying to tear their faith down. Looks like SpiritedWitch is the only one who actually got it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Of course your faith is real. No one denies your faith...god, on the other hand is not real.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011