Did your parents teach you prejudice against other races or ethnic groups?

I can look back at my childhood and say without a doubt that I never heard either my mother or my father make a racist or ethnic slur. They say prejudices are learned behavior. Did your parents make race or ethnic slurs that influenced you? Were you able to rise above it and take people for who they are individually?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Absolutely not. My dad came to the US from what is now Zimbabwe and he actually fought in the civil war there which was mostly about race. Because of his upbringing and the things he saw he was determined to not teach us the same hatred he saw when he was young that ended up destroying an entire country.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 4:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I have many racist family members and grew up hearing slurs and remarks. I ALWAYS found them ignorant and have never shared the same thoughts or feelings. My grandfather hates just about any race besides his own, although most of his grandchildren are half Hispanic. I think racism is ignorant and stupid and the people that hold these ideals are also ignorant and stupid.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My parents, mostly my dad were extremely prejudiced. Of all my siblings, I am the one that has rejected that bullshit. My siblings are all better that my dad, but still say stuff sometimes that makes me want to slap the shit out of them. That crap isn't allowed in my home. I definitely broke the cycle for my kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i was raised in a very racist home..if its not whit its not right type home. i still resent my parents for it...i never understood people are people and god made us the same., personally i have always been attracted to dark skinned men. DH is puerto rican with very dark skin. he is the most beautifull thing i have ever seen. people call us cafe con leche lol (coffee and cream). i teach my kids not to see color it dosent mattter if people are purple green white black brown yellow or silver..we all come from god..and in turn adam and eve. Racism piss me off!
    MonkeyMommyNJ

Answer by MonkeyMommyNJ at 4:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My parents weren't, but most of my mom's family is very prejudiced. I grew up with a real distaste for their way of thinking.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes and no. My mother is not racist and always taught me that race does not matter. But her DH was racist and I heard all the comments a lot.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No, my parents were racist at all. I make my judgements of people on an individual basis, and they are based on actions/choices not on skin color.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My parents taught me to see the person, not the color of their skin. I did my best to instill that in my son.

I will not tolerate hearing racist slurs and when my son was younger, I told my grandmother that if she couldn't refrain from using them around him, she wasn't going to be around him. Boy did that cause an uproar for a little while.

One time, I literally stopped my car and told my younger SIL that if she said "N" again, she would get out of my car and walk the rest of the way of home.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh heck no, if I had, I would have been in for a strict reprimand.......my parents did not stand for discrimination and neither do I. My dad was raised with a father who made racial slurs etc all the time and growing up it pissed him off especially since his best friend was considered as being from a minority race. He vowed then and there that he would raise his kids better and he did!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Not my parents, but my grandparents had a lot to say.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011