Kissing mommy's lips

my 18 month old kissed me on the lips at walmart today.i didnt see any harm in it.but a older lady did.she had said it sends our children the wrong message between a parent love or a lovers love.i couldnt believe it.what are your thoughts on this.and do you let your kids kiss you on the lips.my mom and dad did it to us growing up.

mom2curlyboy

Asked by mom2curlyboy at 4:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Our family always kisses on lips, right down to great, great grandparents. Maybe she wasnt loved. Nothing wrong with it.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i peck my kids all the time on the lips. i find it disturbing that anyone would turn an affectionate peck between you and your children into something sexual.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Dh does but I do not because I get cold sores and do not want my kids to get them from me. (I got them from my mother).
    Sorry that old woman was just wrong. Nothing sexual about it! Though I wouldn't suggest a big long kiss like you'd give your dh either. DD tried to do that one time when she was really young. We had to explain the differences in mommy/daddy kisses and the kisses we give her. (I kiss her on the cheek).
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We usually kiss on the cheek grandparents, aunts, uncles etc....My kids when there little the lips are fine, but when they get older I think the cheek and hugs hello or good bye is fine. My baby girl kisses mommy and daddy on the lips but anyone else we encourage hugs or a kiss on the cheek.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I never kissed an adult on the lips as a child but my kids kiss me on the lips. I'm fine with that and don't think my kids are at all confused by it.
    My dh and his family are all lip kissers and I don't get it. His mom kissed me on the lips one time and I think she could tell I was uncomfortable with it and has never done it again. Now I don't know if there will come a time when I will stop kissing my kids on the lips, never thought that through. But lately ds, 7 kisses me on the cheek mostly occasionally on the lips.
    I can't believe she said something to you. That's just another example of older generations clashing with newer generations. Wonder what things our kids will do that we will look down on and judge! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i do to i came home crying thinkin this lady was sure enough goin to call dcs on me for kissing my child on the lips and try and turn it into something it isnt.
    mom2curlyboy

Comment by mom2curlyboy (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Wow...that's really rude. I can't believe that some people would have the nerve to say something out loud to another parent whom they do not know. But this is normal I do it with my DD all the time. My parents did it to us too.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My 4 year old son kisses me on the lips too sometimes. There's nothing wrong with it, children don't associate kissing with anything other than love and cuddles. Don't worry about that crazy lady, enjoy those sweet kisses!
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 5:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I don't judge others if they choose to do so, and would never have said anything to another mother, but I personally share the same philosophy as the woman who addressed you. There is a line of sexual abuse in my family going back generations so I feel it's important to draw clear lines of appropriateness for my children regarding contact with adults.

Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My DD is 4 1/2 and still kisses me on the lips. My cousins who are Greek kiss me on the lips and there is nothing wrong with it, it's just how you were raised.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011