I want to go back to school but i am a single mom with two how could that be possible

moemoe2319

Asked by moemoe2319 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in

• try online schools
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• thats what i want to do but i do not know what i should study
    moemoe2319

Comment by moemoe2319 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• sorry i should of said i want to go to college i already finished high school back in may
    moemoe2319

Comment by moemoe2319 (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My local university has on-site daycare. They are a teaching college and the university students work in the daycare as part of class so it's inexpensive.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Try a College Major quiz.
    http://homeworktips.about.com/library/maj/bl_majors_quiz.htm
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I was a single mom of 3 and did it. Don't do a for profit school - call your local community college and start there, you can transfer to a university if that's what you decide to do. You likely qualify for a Pell grant. I went to school full time and worked evenings and weekends as a waitress to support myself and my kids.

Answer by missanc at 7:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• This is what a Psych professor told a girl asking the same questions as you. IF your really want to go to school, you will have NO questions. You won't have any excuses. When you are really ready to go to college, there will be NOTHING holding you back.

And you know what? He was 100% correct. I had all the same excuses and questions as you and used them as a crutch. Once I really wanted to go to school, nothing stopped me. You can work it out. I did it working 30 hours a week, going to school 4-5 classes a semester, doing 2 internships at 25 hours a week each, got to all my son's baseball games, doctors appointments, etc. I also made the Dean's List 4 out of 6 semesters and graduated in May with a 3.6 GPA. It wasn't easy but I did it. NO excuses. Talk to an admissions counselor and go through the steps.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My school is Baker College in Michigan and they have an online campus in addition to their regular campuses. Their staff is awesome at helping you over the phone or email and helping you get financial aid if you qualify. Baker.edu

Good luck!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Get a sitter or ask grandma,
    Get some student loans together like I have had to do.
    Find you strenth and courage.
    Just do it Mama.
    You can I have.
    and it is worth it.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Don't use one of those online only commercial schools - half the time they're not accredited, and their credits never transfer to a real one if you want to go on to a normal University later. Everything you take there you'd have to take a second time (and pay for a second time) if you decide to go on to another degree later.

Start with your local community college - the usually offer online classes and it's about 1/3 the price of a large school or one of the online only school scams. You'll also qualify for federal grant money and loans, plus a lot more scholarship options, since it will be accredited. (be careful, make sure it's a real school and not a local version of the online commercial ones - we have a 2 year school near here, tuition's twice as much as comm college, and NOTHING transfers to a 4 year school. The only thing you leave with is debt.)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

Next question in
College

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Kissing mommy's lips