Do you spank your kids? I don't really see the big deal...

Nowadays there's so much fuss about spanking kids. I don't understand why people say it's so wrong. I know I was spanked as a child. I don't think it's mean or abusive as long as the parent is in control and it's strictly discipline and not out of anger towards a child. Does anyone agree with me?
Is it against the law now to spank your child? My cousin in Massachusetts told me that she spanked her daughter in a parking lot and a police officer told her that if he saw her do it again she would get arrested. I think it's ridiculous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I always say, to each their own. I know I was spanked as a young child, but not enough or not to the age where I remember. I just wonder, does it really work? I kind of think it doesn't. I guess a kid will learn that if he/she does this certain thing they will get hit, but they will never understand why what they are doing is not okay. And do you really want your children fearing you in this way? Or would you rather they respect you because you take time to explain to them why they're not allowed to do something, and take the time to listen to them, too?
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Spanking is NOT illegal in the United States, unless it causes the child physical injury.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 5:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We spanked our kids and there isn't anything wrong with it. People need to learn the difference between disciple and abuse - spanking is disciple, beating is abuse.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The problem with it is that there is that fine line that a lot of people cross, between discipline and abuse, aside from the fact that the child learns to fear instead of understanding why.

Answer by older at 5:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• you can control the body to a certain point with spanking but to have mental control is another realm that you need to master, because one that kid gets big enough he or she might just turn around and try to spank you,. just saying........because its so very true
    MAFIAMAMI

Answer by MAFIAMAMI at 5:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If kids are not being abused then people need to keep their nose in their own business.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i agree with you i mean realy how many kids will listen to you by saying no no you cant do that.without looking at you funny thinkin hahahahha mommy said no no im just going to laugh and do it again.
    mom2curlyboy

Answer by mom2curlyboy at 5:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• swat on the tush, or spanking until your hand hurts? I think spanking is a line that is both way overused and underused,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think spanking is fine as a last resort and a parent should be angry when doing so, than should explain to the child the spanking is a form of discilpine not something done to harm them and atleast by 10, parents should not be spanking their children anymore.

When spanking was allowed, we did not have issues today with children being the parents. (atleast I seen this when I was growing up)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I spank my son. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't spank him for every little thing and only on the butt.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 5:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2011