Breast Feeding a toddler..

How long should a baby be breast fed and when should the mom cut out the feeding??

mom2hailie

Asked by mom2hailie at 12:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I nurse my toddler. I believe in child led weaning and will not top until she wants to. It is her choice. I would, however, prefer she stop before college. LOL
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I think a baby should stop when he/she is ready. My sister had twin girls one breastfed until she was almost three, the other didn't stop until around age 5, that goes to show every child is different.
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 12:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I nursed both of mine until around their second birthdays. My first had a mild allergy to cow's milk, so I saw no reason to stop nursing earlier. By age 2, she had outgrown it. Also, toddlers are going through a lot of growth and development and can be very upset by the world around them and even by their own strong feelings. I found breastfeeding to be a great way to calm her down and comfort her when the world overwhelmed her.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• continued:
    My son had more severe allergies, including the first things I fed him (mashed bananas and baby oatmeal cereal). They made him throw up, and he refused any foods after that. He had occupational therapy to learn how to eat! So breastfeeding was his only food for his first year, and an important supplement as we increased his diet. He eventually outgrew most of his allergies, too.

I think even "normal" kids can benefit from a natural reduction in frequency over the first couple of years. If you can fit this into your lifestyle, I recommend it.
    yarnjunkie

• I have never breastfed, as I only have stepchildren. However, I am a big proponent of breastfeeding...I believe children should be breastfed for a minimum of 1 year...if I am ever blessed to have a child of my own, then I intend on breastfeeding until atleast 1 year-18months. I don't have a problem with what someone else chooses to do, but I will admit that after a child is 2 yrs old, it would make me uncomfortable to breastfeed.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• this is a hard question some parents don't think babies should breast feed at all some just till 1 and others until the baby is done. My oungets daughter was 23 months when I stopped breast feeding, part of the reason I went so long honestly is because time went by so fast and really didn't realize how fast she was getting older other reason is that I thought she was gettting to old and she really wasnt feeding she was using me as a pacifier. and I became pregnant. It was really hard but I did it. I used a tip my friend showed me. I simply put cabbage leaves on my breast and it does soak up some milk and when she went down to pull my shirt for her milk she saw it and thought that I was hurt from then on she just didn;t really want it. When she did which she still ask for some now. I tell her no and give her juice instead or her own milk.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Something I've heard some moms do is after they get to the point where they are uncomfortable breastfeeding, they pump their milk and give it to the child in a bottle or sippy cup.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The wife of my piano teacher when I was in junior high was my daughter's first babysitter, and my mom told me that this lady bf her own daughter until the little girl went to kindergarten. I thought that was a little weird personally, but she was a GREAT sitter. I could only bf my two for a few months because it was too hard to coordinate with my work schedule.

My son used to suck so hard that my nipples actually tore and I had to use Bag Balm on them. (That's the stuff that farmers put on the chapped udders of cows!) I used to call him "Hoover Jr." One time he actually gave my ex a fat lip because he thought it was my nipple and latched on tight! :-)
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008