Could someone please help me understand this?

my oldest who is nine put a book on hold from the library. i got a call from them saying it was in, so i went to pick it up. they told me i couldn't because the child wasn't with me. now they can call and harass ME for money if she owes any fines because i'm mom. but i'm not allowed to pick up her books that she has on hold?! i can undestand that for like a teenager but not a child! what is your thoughts on it?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Noel - I get it. I understand the idea behind the policy but it's rather silly for minors. I mean seriously. bah
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think that if your good enough to pay the bills then you are good enough to pick up the book!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If she's a minor you should be able to pick it up. I'd have talked with the Director. When I have my grandson pick up my books for me I always call them and tell them he's coming. Good grief, it's a book not a coveted body organ!

Answer by admckenzie at 6:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I use to work in the library and we would allow parents to pick up the books for the children but not for anyone else (ie. spouses could not pick up for each other unless they had the other's card)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Holy moly is she 21,, lol,, IDK<, but buy her a kindle,,rude of them.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That is just ridiculous! I hate the policies at some libraries. They totally suck.
    hallieballie

Answer by hallieballie at 6:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I could pick up books my children put on hold, but I have to have the card it's being held on in order to do so. Did you have her card?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• yeah i had her card with me. we were able to have a choice of wallet or key chain and i chose the key ring so i could keep all of our cards on me. i gave my guy permission get my holds using his card but i didn't know that i needed it for my 9, 6, and 4 year old. i would expect it for the older crowd but not the younger ones.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Talk to the director and see if their policy can't be modified.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2011