Should I stop payment on the check?

My husband 6 months ago got a new motor for his window, and it went kaput,, they said the motor had a full 1 year warrenty,, he dropped it off, and today they told him that labor would be $100.00, last time when we paid for the motor ($300.00) the motor was $250 and the labor was $50,, this is his regular shop, and we have spent over $6,000 between oil changes, brakes and the like,, I told him to NOT use his debit card, to write a check, and inform them we will no longer do business with them,, depending on the answer,, I may stop payment,, What do you think?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 5:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• If it has a warrenty, you should have (or be able to get) the written warrenty so you can read the details of it and what is and isn't covered. Labor cost will vary with what they have to do. If you have a problem I would call them (if your dh is like mine, he probably asked no details on why the labor cost went from $50 to $100 or a breakdown of the charges) have them explain the cost to you. If your not satisfied speak with a manager or owner and tell them your problem, explain your a loyal customer who has spent thousands and see if it can be discounted. Usually being civil and nice will work better than calling and cussing someone out. Or stopping payment. That just opens the door for it to go to collections, or get sued over it. Really turning that extra $100 in to something a lot bigger than it needs to be.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• if they are not honoring what they said i would def stop payment thats wrong
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Times are hard for everyone. Maybe they had to increase the cost of labor all around.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The only problem is that some shops don't get reimbursed for warranty, so it depends on that shop does or doesn't.
    hallieballie

Answer by hallieballie at 6:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would take FULL Warrenty to mean labor and parts,, he does not want to make waves,, but honestly,, we would have had a friend do it the last time, but decided to go with a warrenty.
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Thanks layh, but times are hard for us as well, What do you think FULL 1 year warrenty means,, we are regular and good customers,, I am mad as heck right now, and think the whole thing stinks! Of course this was a verbal agreement,, and they don't seem to recall the labor part,, might I add last month we repaid for a used fuel pump (they put in) for a brand new one,, to the tune of 1,000 no one gave us the choice to pick a used over a new.
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• if the part was installed by them, then it's the shops error for the motor being bad and they have a responsibility to fix it, you CAN take them to court over it and it should be completely free to repair.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011