Rats in my Garden - Green-Thumb Mama's, I need help!

I am growing fruits and veggies in my garden. Lots of them. Two nights ago, as I was trying to sleep, I kept hearing tsk tsk tsk .. . . really got on my nerves. I got the flashlight, and who did I catch but a rat. Last night, he brought friends. :(
What is the best source of rat control for a garden meant to be eaten? It seems like I couldn't put poison out and still harvest.
Any suggestions?

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 6:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can put out bait that the rats will eat (and die) instead of the flowers, veggies and plants,, I know it seems harsh, but one step closer to keeping them out of your home,, they will not pass it to the veggies, just make sure you give them a good wash,, and you should anyway if rats have been knwawing on them. They carry everything from lice to the plauge. hope this helps!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• snake
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I heard there are ways to keep rats out of your garage by using cotton balls dipped in mint oil and tossing them into corners and such. But I don't know what to do about the garden. Maybe go to the home depot or lowe's. The garden section. You would also have to keep your pets away from the area. Like a dog or cat.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 6:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• my friends dads puts out dry oatmeal in various spots and in mounds...they eat the dry oats and get thirsty and drink water, expand and they die
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 6:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Get yourself a cat!!!!!! agree with hubby!!!!!!

Answer by older at 6:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My neighbor was telling me that he bought those kind sticky pads for rats. He told me that it didn't work. The rat got stuck on the pad and then rolled around the yard until the pad got dirty and wasn't so sticky any more. The rat did get off of the sticky pad. I will have to try the oatmeal. There is a rat that lives on my other neighbor's yard. Unfortunately, my dogs would probably eat all of the oatmeal before the rat got to it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That's funny, pookie, I was thinking the same thing. I once found a HUGE king snake on my porch, and I was thinking hew should come and hang out again for a day or two. My husband thinks we should borrow someone's cat! LOL!

I love the oatmeal idea!

When we have battled mice before, we just caught them in kind traps and let them loose in the hills. I just don't think I have the same kind of heart for a rat, though!
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• hmmm not sure, good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I called the city. Apparantly, there is hantavirus this year, and they want me to set traps, so I can properly dispose of the bodies.

YUCK!

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions!
    ImaginationMama

Comment by ImaginationMama (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011