Natural, cost effective ways to make your own baby food?

My sister is having her first baby in December and is looking at making all of her own baby food. Her husband wants to buy one of those baby bullet blenders, but I know there are means with less cost. Has anyone had experience with the baby bullet blender? What worked for you?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When DD was a baby we just bought a regular blender. We blended what we ate that day before adding spices.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I made my dd's baby food while working full time. I wish I'd known how easy it was when my ds was a baby but I had no clue! The baby bullet didn't exist but I did use our regular bullet to make her baby food and it worked perfectly. I would steam the fruits and veggies in our rice cooker in the steaming basket it came with. Then I'd take the food and add water and blend until very smooth. I had these ice trays I found at Bed Bath and Beyond that had covers that slid on to keep things neat. I'd put the blended food in the ice trays and freeze them. When they froze, I'd put the cubes in freezer bags which I'd label and take out a few cubes to defrost when needed. It made it easy to carry out too because they would defrost on their own in a tuperware container. I'd make enough for a few weeks - I'd spend a couple hours on a Sunday making the food ahead of time and saved a ton of money
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• it's just a blender. nothing special besides the little smile on it. Get her the bk Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I used a regular blender. I bought some organic & some non-organic fruits and veggies & made them in batches & froze them. I boiled or steamed them, put them in the blender w/some of the water and blended until I got the consistency I liked.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I used a regular blender and bought alot of what was on sale. I sprayed PAM onto ice cube trays and put the pureed food into them and popped them in the freezer. Then I popped them out and put them in baggies to defrost as needed.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 6:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh and i just used a metal colander over a pot of boiling water to get them mushy, then used a little of the steamed water to make the right consistency. When my son got older I could add pureed blueberry or strawberry etc into his oatmeal/rice.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 6:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I used the back of a fork - very cheap! No need to buy expensive blenders to puree food. If they need purees, they aren't ready for food.

Answer by missanc at 7:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I was going to get that bullet, but i don't think it comes with a steamer. I use the Beaba that comes with steamer, blender all in one, but it's expensive. I still go out and buy baby organic food when I need a break. I like to make it enough for 2 days so everything is still fresh.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Steam foods on the stove, and mash with a fork. Cheap, less dishes, less work, less mess...
    Anonymous

• I think this would be interesting too..Good question..
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2011