Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

College Decision question...

I have just finished my B.A. in Psychology. I want to work with at risk children... now I am 12 wks pregnant, so I feel like my options of finding a job are slim to none to get any kind of experience even though I am continuing my volunteer work as a youth mentor. I have to start paying back student loans in October if I don't go back to school before then.. now here is the real situation. I am torn between if I want to start my MA in Psychology which I could start now bc I am doing it online.... OR if I want to do this year long ultra sound tech program after the baby is born at about 4-6 months old. I would finish them both around the same time. I feel like my hormones aren't helping this decision. I kind of wish someone would just out right tell me what to do, but I know the decision is mine. I guess I am looking for people that have studied these degrees or opinions of what you think you would do in this situation?

Answer Question

Asked by jenni_j at 6:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in

Level 12 (853 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • My daughter did the BA and the masters in psychology, other than going for a professor job, (which are hard to get)there is not really much out there for this degree, it is hard to find something suitable.  She ended up taking the LSAT and going to law school!!!!! she is also avoiding to pay those loans!!!!!!!


    Answer by older at 6:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • yea thats what im afraid of... but the question is did she have any kind of experience?? Like volunteer?? I don't know... EVERYONE wants experience but NO ONE wants to give it! I am 23.. 24 when i have my baby. I don't have to work, but I want my child to have the best life they can, and not have to worry about college and stuff. My DH and I started a fund the week we found out I was pregnant.

    Comment by jenni_j (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Only problem I see with going for your masters befo having a formal training... People won't want to hire you. A bigger degree means more pay, and many don't want to pay someone with out training, more money.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Do you want to work as an ultrasound tech or do you want to have a career in psychology? If your real desire is to build a career that utilizes your psychology degree, then start the online classes, continue your volunteer work, and look for an entry level or part-time job in that field. You can look for jobs, and hopefully find one, while you are pregnant. You might just find something that helps you get your foot in the door. GL!

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Just some help. You MA in psych will also entail at least two years post grad to obtain a license. Much of that time, you might be working for free in an internship. You also need to make sure that it is accredited and is accepted in your state toward licensure.

    You will definately make money sooner going the ultrasound route, but the psych degree might allow you some flexibility.

    I might also suggest that you look into a Masters in Social Work. You can still get licensed as an LCSW with that, but after you graduate, you will qualify for many paid positions without the license, but the degree only. And, usually positions that hire licensed Psych people also are open to LCSW's.

    Accredited MA is psych are usually two and a half years long because of all the required coursework. If it is less than that, it may not meet quals and may be a waste of your time.

    Feel free to PM me if you have any more Q's.

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Personally I would go back for my masters. You sound like it's something that you want, and if you get this other degree you may not go finish your masters. I think you will be limiting yourself if you do the ultra sound tech.

    Answer by southernbelletx at 6:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • yea, but I am also a military wife who moves around with my husband. I feel like pursing work with at risk youth provides stability and am willing to give it up because moving from place to place is not stable for these youth.

    Comment by jenni_j (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • My babysitter just finished her BA in Psychology, she wants to go get her master's in OT, so she called some local OTs and is doing volunteer work all summer long so they will give her a good recommendation and she can get some experience. Is there somewhere local that you can volunteer to get some experience? I would definitely go for the Masters rather than the ultrasound tech.

    Answer by missanc at 7:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • To do anything in Psychology you need a Masters Degree. You cannot counsel anyone without a masters. So I think the masters would be a better idea.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.