Down girl!

My SO is a truck driver, we have been together for 4 yrs now. I get that we have 4 kids and need income, but I hate it when he leaves! He is usually gone from Sunday afternoon/night to Friday morning... I get all bitchy when he is about to leave! I have a hard time masking my disappoinment. There are no other options right now to support our family of 6. I just want to know, wth can I do to feel better about this, we are arguing every time he heads out...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Try making sure that you have atleast a couple of hours for just you two during his time at home, and also have him help you get the hosue cleaned up sort of and any little things you need his help with before he leaves, this might help you feel more at ease knowing some things are done before he leaves for a week....
    3angels23

Answer by 3angels23 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That would be hard to deal with but think of this...you fight with him just before he leaves? He has to provide for the family to keep food on the table and a roof over your head. Don't allow him to leave the house to go on the road after you have been fighting. I would feel HORRIBLE if I allowed my husband to leave with that feeling. What if something happens to him on the road? I would forever feel terrible that that is the way things were left when he went to work that day.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Can you at least talk on the phone? I agree some one on one time is necessary when he is home.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• have a date night if even it consists of a couple hours. Also you need to relax as he is providing for your family and probly hates leaving town as much you hate him leaving. I know how you feel. My dh leaves for town on Sunday nights and only comes home on saturday afternoons. its hard.
    prettynpink343

Answer by prettynpink343 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yeah, try to enjoy the time you have together when he's home. Go places you don't usually go...maybe a walk a picnic come home and make love. I understand you must feel very lonely and sad...but it's his job and it provides for the family. Maybe you can talk to him about looking for a different line of work maybe something more close to home or even going back to school to get a reg. job that he can go to during the day and come home to his family at night. Always, give lots of hugs,kisses and I love you's when he leaves on the road...I agree terrible things happen out there and he could use your support and if something ever did happen "GOD of bid" at least you would know that he left home happy and you two were on good term.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I go through same thing every 2 weeks. Hubby is home 2 weekends a month. The leaving is harder on Hubby than me. He loves our home and he's come to hate his driving. I used to dread it but...now, I just sort of look at it like....I have the best of both worlds in a way. I get all the me time a girl could ask for for 2 whole weeks(but an awful lot of responsibility too though) and when he does come home I get treated with lots of love and huggin and squeazin' ! IDK, I think I changed the way I looked at things. Is there something deeper bothering you about it? Just wondering. It's not an easy life by any means. It's like a very hard balancing act really.....everything is always off and it takes that much more effort to make it balance, IMO. We spend so much time, texting, free talk time after 7 and even fall asleep on the cell. We watch tv together even if we don't have same channels where he is. It's us time.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Things could be worse always remember that and when you feel this way it would be so bad. stay positive.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I know how you feel. My hubby was an OTR truck driver for a brief period of time. We both hated it. I wanted to take my frustration out on him, but I kept myself in check. He was doing what he had to do at the time. Laying a guilt-trip on him when it came time for him to go wouldn't solve a damned thing. You feel how you feel--you can't change that. But, please, don't make him feel bad about his job. He knows how you feel. Send him off with a hug, kiss, and a smile on your face. Then go back in the house and cry your eyes out and eat a box of chocolates if that's what you feel like doing. Maybe another job will come along that has comparable wages. Good luck hun.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011