What should I look for in a karate class?

My son wants to start martial arts, he is five, very serious about it. I observed a class at a local place, seemed fine, signed him up for the month trial. The instructor is American, middle aged and seemed to do well with kids, has a place for parents to sit and watch. Then dh said I HAD to see the dojo he attended that what a complete opposite, The instructor was an elderly Korean man, very serious man nor about him, studio discourages parents watching because they think it is a distraction. The place was nicer as far as the training room, smelled cleaner, further away.... What should I look for? I really don't know now.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 6:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mr. Meeyagi! lol-I think that you should use the free trials to see what your son likes and what you are most comfortable with.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 6:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Dh use to teach martial arts. He doesn't like teaching kids that young because a lot of them end up getting in fights to "prove" they know something.
    As far as which instructor to pick. The Korean is probably going to teach more technical, but the American might connect with your son better on a personal level. Just kinda depends on which you prefer. I know if I really wanted my kid to learn the moves and not just go for the social interaction I'd go for the more serious korean teacher.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I like southernbelletx 's suggestion. My boys love their Tae Kwon Do class, and the teacher is more like the first one in your question. For us, personally, I just wanted the kids to have fun and learn to defend themselves should the need arise, not nessacarily all the technical stuff.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 7:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'd let him try the free trials & watch the classes to see how the instructor interacts with the kids. If your son likes the instructor, he'll do well. As for the technical stuff, he can pick that up later if he continues, right now, it should be fun as well as a learning experience. Personally I would not put my child in a class that I was not welcome to watch at that age. Our son started martial arts at age 7 1/2, we stayed at all his classes & watched, still do. We like knowing what our kids are learning & what they might need some home practice on. Our son is now 16 yrs, a BB in Isshinruy, a 2nd degree BB in Tang So Do, a national & world champion & he still has fun with it.,
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:59 AM on Jul. 12, 2011