OUCH!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/big-birth-announcement-couple-welcomes-16-pound-baby-201325980.html

Big birth announcement: couple welcomes a 16-pound baby boy

This bundle of joy must be bringing an extra helping of happiness: a couple in Texas are the proud parents of 16-pound, 1-ounce, 2-foot-long JaMichael Brown.

At 9:05 Friday morning, Janet Johnson and Michael Brown welcomed their son at Longview's Good Shepherd Medical Center. JaMichael, who was quickly nicknamed "the Moose," is the largest child ever born in the hospital—and possibly the state.

So exactly how big is a 16-pound baby? Let's put it this way: The average newborn is about seven-and-a-half pounds. The Brown baby's weight is just about equivalent to that of a six-month-old.

In a video for the "Today" show, JaMichael's parents said they had been told by doctors to expect a big baby, maybe 12 or 13 pounds, before the scheduled Cesarean birth. The 39-year-old mother suffered from gestational diabestes, which can result in or indicate bigger birth weights. Exactly how much bigger was the huge surprise.

THANK GOODNESS  FOR C-SECTIONS!

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• surprisedBIG....is definitely an understatement!!!

LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Damn, that's one big baby!!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 7:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh my goodness. My daughter carried twins until 38 weeks...they totaled almost 15 pounds...she could barely walk. I can't imagine carrying one big baby like that. Wow.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I seen that, and she had a c-section so no ouchies down there for her, but I said WOW when I first seen it, I hope the kid makes it, he had breathing problems and low blood sugar.. he's in my thoughts.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yikes!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• OH MY!!!!!
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 7:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• There is a woman in Thailand that gave birth to a 19lb baby not that long ago.

Oops, just looked it up. The woman was in Indonesia, the baby was 9 pounds, and was born last Sept. Link Here

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I had gestational diabetes with my first and my doctor made sure I was careful about what foods I put in my body. Not safe for mom or baby!
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh my goodness! Ouch is right!
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011