Ok ive been trying to potty train my 3 year old she tells me she has to go multiple times and we get there and nothing comes out? can someone tell me why she does this

maria4540

Asked by maria4540 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Probably because she's excited to go on the potty and wants to but just isn't recognizing her body's cues yet. Has she peed in the potty at all? Once you get her to actually pee on the potty a couple of times, it should be easier for her, being able to associate the feeling of having to go with the feeling of actually going, if that makes sense.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• ya makes sense but no she hasnt gone at all yet im waiting for here to go so she knows what to do
    maria4540

Comment by maria4540 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It took my son nearly 4 months after he was potty trained (i.e. he peed/pooped on the potty regularly) to be able to tell me when he needed to go. Before that, I just took him on a regular basis. Giving her a bit extra to drink will increase the frequency of peeing and give her more chances for success.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• thank you for your advice
    maria4540

Comment by maria4540 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Just be patient!! She will come around. If it makes you feel any better, my son was trying to make me get out of bed the other day. Usually he does this for me to get up and play w/ him. (Dad was already up) So my son points down to his "manhood" and started to pee. The funny thing is he had on a pamper but it was hitting the floor as if he didn't!! lmao!! I felt like shit because he had to be trying to get me to go to the bathroom w/ him.

sad

LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• thank you
    maria4540

Comment by maria4540 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It was kind of odd though because at home, my son seldomly wants to use the potty. When he goes to my mother's for the w/e, he always uses it. He actually came home this w/e w/ all the pampers and pull-ups that I sent there.
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• my daughter starting preschool and they want her going on her own so thats why im trying hard to get her going but i dont want to push her so im just asking if she want to go!
    maria4540

Comment by maria4540 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• In order to get her to understand what's going on, you'll probably have to "push" her, just a little bit. Make her sit on the potty every 30 minutes to an hour. Don't sweat it if she doesn't do anything, and praise her lavishly when she does. But you have to do something to get her to actually go before you worry about her going on her own. That probably won't just happen overnight.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2011