What is a good punishment for a three year old? And what should they be punished for?

My daughter is three and still throwing the tanrums and talking like a baby. I know the normal things to be punished for but should they be punished for things like talking like a baby and throwing tantrums and if so what are some good punishments.

JRHunt18

Asked by JRHunt18 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• time outs. Be consistant. 1 minute per age. When you are done with the time out. Ask her why she was in there. Also, when she is talking like a baby tell her that it is not acceptable and you will acknowledge her. I have a 3 year old. We have done this and rarely have a problem. I have also sent her to her room if she starts to cry about it. I tell her when she can act like a big girl she may come out.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• you might want to talk to your doctor about her speech. my dd can talk, she can say words plainly but when she starts talking in full sentences sometimes i can't understand a lick of what she's saying. she'll be 3 this month. i talked with her doctor and we are setting her up for speech therapy....i work with her at home but she's just the type to talk real fast i guess.

as for disciplining for tantrums, it depends on the situation. sometimes my dd is super crabby, and has an oppinion and tantrum for just about anything. that's when i sit her down and tell her to have a "me time" until she calms down. if it gets too bad, then it's a time out. (for "me time" she sits down with her back on the wall. for time outs, i do the old fashion "nose on the wall". it helps with the difference)

if she's having a tantrum because she's just plain mad about something, i tell her to use her words. i have her repeat what i say "i'm mad!"
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• if the tantrum is to the point you can't even talk to her, send her to her room until she's done. or have her sit somewhere you can keep an eye on her. then when she's done, she should come to you, tell you she's done with her tantrum. that's when you get down at her level and talk to her about WHY she had the tantrum, and then afterwards you talk about why she had to go to her room/time out.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Mines does the samething but its funny how he only acts like a baby when I come in from work and my husband says he dont act that way with him. I'm not going to lie about it when mines act out with the tantrums I spank him and tell him why I did it and send him to his room until he stops crying. I tell him whenever he ready to stop crying and talk to momma he can come out the room.
    mystery8307

Answer by mystery8307 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh I feel your pain! I am in the same boat. My three year old starts throwing fits if I ask him to put toys away, get undressed for tub time, get dressed in the morning.... almost anything. I don't understand why but it gets frustrating because I can see having a tantrum over some things but not EVERYTHING! I tell him what I want him to do and if he doesn't do it, I give him a warning and then if he still doesn't do it then he gets put in time out. He hates time out but I have to be consistent and keep it up. I'm also going to call and see if I can get him into therapy for his anger.... maybe some play therapy or something. I don't know what to do either, but just know you're not alone! Good luck~ if anything works let me know, hehe!
    HappySam

Answer by HappySam at 2:11 AM on Jul. 12, 2011