Is it bad that my 3 yo prefers to eat canned fruit rather than fresh fruit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ya, just make sure that it's packed in water or at the MOST light syrup..some of that stuff is packed in heavy syrup and has more sugar than a candy bar..what you could try doing to ween him off, is cut up small peices of fruit and let it "marinate" overnight in the fridge..then put it in a little cup or bowl...maybe he won't know the difference.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It isn't optimum but it's better than no fruit at all. Try to find the fruits packed only in water. If all you can find is those packed in syrup rinse them gently with cool water in a fine sieve.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Fresh fruit is healthier because vitamin C and some other nutrients are destroyed by the canning process, but canned fruit is still a healthy food.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I wanted to add my GS was like this. I slowly began sneaking in litle pieces of banana or pieces of pear eventually he outgrew most of it. He still won't eat apple peel and refuses to pell an orange...but those are more sensory/texture issues.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No, it's not bad. Maybe a little bit less healthy, but not neccasarily bad.
    nataliekateof2

Answer by nataliekateof2 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011