How do you tell a child that he can't go to The Circus because animals are mistreated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• you explain it to them...that simple :) and kudos to you!!! My daughter who is almost 3 attended a circus protest with me here in Las Vegas and it was great!! She knows that when she sees an elephant that "they belong outside, not in cage"...kids are smart, they'll get it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Just like that.

Elephants don't want to wear costumes and do tricks, they want to live in the wild with thier families. Plus, they way they get animals to do tricks is by making them afraid that they'll hurt them if they don't. That's not a nice way to treat animals.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Good for you. Circus' are notorious for mistreatment of elephants, bears, and other animals. Being in a cage at the zoo is one thing, but being forced to wear s tutu and perform is much worse. The ASPCA has a list of animal free circus' I hope one is near you!
    http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/circus-cruelty/animal-free-circuses.aspx
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I think it's a good idea to tell them why..even if it does mean telling them...people leave their kids in a bubble and that's not the way the world works...you don't need to go into detail about they are whipped and electrocuted (even the babies) but telling them that the bad people hurt them to do tricks is not a bad thing to tell their kids...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Minnesotanice,

It is a fun family activity. But at the cost of the animals. Which is not right. If they would change their methods of training and how they care and treat the animals, it could be a different story.

I enjoyed the circus as a child, and wish that it were different. But when I explained it to my kids, the were given the choice to go or not. They chose not to. Kids are smart.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My family ( my aunt) is a vet for Barnum and Bailey.... and so that you now those animals are loved, treated well, and once they are too old or have an issue are sent to a santuary for the animal of their type... also 3 elephants from Barnum and Bailey were sent to wonderful areas in Africa that care for them with wonderful knowledge and love. I think you are highly mislead.... I support all well known circuses and zoos, I also frequent Barnum and Bailey and can tell you they are FAR from mistreated and some are saved mainly b/c they were raised by "owners" and could not survive in the wild.... THINK BEFORE YOU ACCUSE and do your homework
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'm not sure. I've never had to answer that question before. My kids have never asked to go to the circus. They love the zoo though.
    mandarose

Answer by mandarose at 8:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Just the way you said it. When my son saw that the circus was coming to town he asked if we could go. I told him that we wouldn't be going to the circus and he asked why. I just told him that they're not very nice to the animals. He hasn't asked since.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I guess I never thought about animals being hurt ....the Circus has been a fun family activity since I was born in the 1940's and still is ,as far as I know. But I guess not,huh?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'm just curious - not being snarky, honestly wondering - if you're not going to a circus and listing one of the reasons as 'wild animals don't belong in a cage' do you frequent the zoo? Is that bad too?

Personally we haven't been to a circus because they tend to be closed in and peanut laden - not a good idea for my allergic child. I hadn't thought about went into training the animals. Captivity, however, would be a tough one for me to use as a reason since we do visit zoos.
    Anonymous