How do I get a 3 year old to eat her greens?

My husband and I are both vegeterians, but our 3 year old won't eat "greenies". We've tried simply allowing her to eat meat, but she still won't accept that either. Normally, if we go a restraunt, she eats grilled cheese, or mac 'n' cheese, or the Cheerios my husband brought along. Along with that, my daughter says that someone told her the baby I'm carrying will die if I don't eat meat. How do I handle her picky eating habits?!

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• have you tried pureeing the greens and mixing it through mash potato or pumpkin?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• also what in ignorant thing for someone to say about you being vegetarian and not eating meat and they baby dying!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WOULD TELL A CHILD THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely untrue and inappropriate!!!!!!!!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• It's a phase - no veggies, no meat!

Of course, my DD has always been a very good eater...my DS is the "normal" one. He (at 4) is just now starting to eat vegetables (and meat - although that isn't your lifestyle and I know there are plenty of protein rich foods that you substitute for it). It's one of those things you either gotta be really sneaky about (like pureed baby food into things like mac'n'cheese or pancakes) or surrender to and wait it out.

It will end eventually. Hang in there :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Princess, no we haven't tried pureeing it, that's a good idea! And when my daughter told me what they said about the vegetarian, I asked who told her that, and she said it was my mum of all people. It upset me. My mum and I used to be close, but I was raised in an Athiest home, but became Lutheran recently. Also, she doesn't approve of me being a vegetarian, so this may be a way of getting back at me. I do intend on trying that puree idea, so thank you!
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I tell my girls that eating their veggies will make their hair long and shiny...it seems to work for them.
    sparkles1986315

Answer by sparkles1986315 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Maybe try offering different colored veggies as well so they're mixed... my kids have a hard time eating the green colored veggies too..but I've found that if i mix spinach with pasta and add other colorful veggies, they tend to eat it all up... one of my boys likes eating lettuce/broccoli..etc if he has a little ranch dressing to dip them in.
    TheHappyChicken

Answer by TheHappyChicken at 8:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Happy Chicken, we tried that, but my DD says she can still see they are "greenies" b/c my DH and I eat them. She insists if it's not her "cheesies" or Cheerios, but we eat them, it's not going to taste good. We even tried dipping them in ranch, but found out she was allergic to something in it! I think the pasta thing might fool her, though. I know what my dinner plans are for tomorrow!
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011