What would you say to a daycare provider if they wants to evaluate your child?

My child attends daycare and is only three yrs old. Of course he is active and tends to do what normal 3yr old do. My son gets a bad report just about everyday that he comes back home. The director asks me does he has any social skill? My answer to that was he been in daycare since he was 6wks old and he is the only child at home. How can he not have those skills? What would you do?

mystery8307

Asked by mystery8307 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe he's just going through a stage where he doesn't want to be social...it happens...if it's a "daycare" then I probably wouldn't have anyone "evaluate" him, b/c what do they know..now, if it was an actual school where the teachers have early childhood degrees and know what they are talking about then maybe....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If they are concerned I would probably take notice, as they are with your child alot and they are trained to notice certain behaviors, I look for feedback from my childs preschool teachers. It also doesnt mean they have to evaluate him themselves, you can take him to whoever you want to take him to for that, his pedi or a specialist you dont have to go through their process if you dont want to. Good LucK!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with Princess...it can't hurt to have him evaluated, if he's just fine as you say, no harm done, if there is something he needs to work on, better to find out as early as possible.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Also, I'm thinking that if she sees a heck of a lot more kids than parents do, so she may notice his behavior being outside the "normal" (whatever that is) range...but you should have him checked out, it could be something as silly as diet, kwim? Don't assume the worst and take it personally, I'm guessing she wants to help your child, not hurt him.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I work at a daycare where ALL the teachers are required to have teaching degrees, but you ought to check into that. If most or all of the teaching staff does not have a degree, then you can tell the director that they have no right to evaluate your child. They don't have the proper education, they can't evaluate your child and you can't really tell if they have the correct info. But if the director says he has to evaluate your child, or else, remove him from the daycare. If they do have degrees, listen to what they say. If they have the proper education, they not only want to help you, they know how to properly help you.
    nataliekateof2

Answer by nataliekateof2 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2011