How can I make $126 feed 5 people for 2 weeks?

Seriously, that is what i have left after paying bills this month. Any ideas would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Make a plan and stick to it,, go to the store without your kids,,LOL! I would shop the sale adds for meat and things on sale, save a few bucks for milk next week,,,for example,, buy a roast,(a big one) freeze the meat and use for tacos or sandwiches in a few days,, I feel your pain momma, if DS was not at Grandma's for the next few days, we would be in big trouble.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:29 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• COUPONS! I ONLY SPEND ABOUT $200 A MONTH.. YOU CAN DO IT.. WHY ONLY THAT MUCH THOUGH?
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Dried beans - great source of both protein & fiber. Make a meal plan based on what's on sale. Before you shop, google "coupon for ____" to see if you can match up any coupons with a sale item.
    Anonymous

• Do not buy pop. That will eat your budget fast. You may think you need it, but you don't. You don't have to have meat in every meal. Google $5 meals. Use Google to your advantage right now.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• your local grocery should have a website and they will have store coupons to print off...look through the store ad and put together meals with the ad and the coupons you also can combine store and manufacture coupons. write down what you need and the coupons you will use. buy frozen bags of chicken breast versus the raw
    you can do alot with a large sack of potatoes and bulk pasta.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 8:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Get powdered lemonad or ice tea. Dont use meat in all meals & even cut the meat to half in some. I make hamburg helper by putting in 1/2lb of gr beef then use two boxes of helper simply cut out a bit of the liquid so its not so soupy. Go easy on the cheese that is expensive. Yogurt is cheap esp if you buy a lg tub of it & its good for breakfast. Get some cheap fruits bananas/apples chop up into the yogurt. Cornbread as a filler/side with dinner. Pancakes. Grab muffin mix & make mini ones as snacks for the kids.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i do coupons also save about 80.00 on shopping last week 2 stores all together paid 150.00 after sales and coupons total came to 88.25. anyways.. i buy a big thing of hambuger brown it all up and devided it into means like sheppards pie, tacos, hamburger helper and sometimes put some meat into spaigettii sauce.. also buy chciken breast ( no bone ) so i can make what ever..even chicken fingers..and even chicken drums make a good mean with french fries on the side. this all normaly feeds us for 6-7 days..were a family of 4 but husband eats like were a family of 5. and on day 3 or 4 i have left over night so no cooking for me and left over gets eaten. if i make enough sheppards pie i freeze 1/2 of it for the following week. best of luck i know its hard but u can do it mama. and i agree electic and cable comp...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Angel Food Ministries - www.angelfoodministries.com

You have to order the "Signature Box" (enough to feed a family of 4 for about a week) - in my area for $35 you get:
    ~3# bnls skinless chicken breast
    8 1/4# burgers and 8 buns
    2# non-breaded chicken wings
    2# fet. Alfredo w/ chicken
    6 1/4# pork chops
    1# lean ground beef
    1# deli-style turkey
    1# ground chicken
    4# boil-in-bag mac&cheese
    1# green beans
    1# shoestring carrots
    1# sugar snap peas
    1# chopped spinach
    1# rice
    8oz. pancake mix
    1# dried beans
    32oz shelf-stable 2% milk
    dozen eggs
    1 pkg. break and bake cookies

They then have add-on packs you can get - fruits and veggie, grilling, after-school snacks box, premium box, gluten-free box....

This is NOT a needs based program. This is available to anyone, regardless of income.

You know, I KNEW about this, because I've referred
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I made a mistake - at one point you had to order a standard box to get add-on boxes; now you don't appear to need to. The signature box is just the most popular, "staples" sort of box
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I only have that much because the electric company is raping me on a monthly basis but this month has been the worst yet $385. And when you are a Stay at Home Mom, and your DH only brings home $1200 every 2 weeks, this is what happens

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011