What do you do when your family doesn't approve of your living habits?

I'm a vegetarian and a Lutheran. This shouldn't be a problem, except I was raised in an Athiest background. Even my older brother won't let me talk to him about what I believe. It upsets me, because I am big on family. How do I get rid of the tension of being religious in a home of unbelievers?

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Simply dont talk about your relgion. Theres plenty of other things to discuss. If they dont respect your eating habits then bring your own food or dont eat there. If you really want to have a relationship with your family & they have proven to be diffficult thus far then nix the topic altogether. That is what I do when I want to have a relationship with people but there is a topic that gets too heated, simply stay away from such topic. If they wont allow that to happen then you may have to consider backing off & only talking/visiting with them here & there in doses that you can tolerate. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When it comes to family - don't talk religion, don't talk politics. Just BE with your family.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'm the only Pagan in a family of Christians and for the most part, nothing is said. I do know there are a few that have run their mouth about my witchcraft books and things but they have never said anything directly to me.

My advice is to just be yourself. Tell them that you have found your path and you are not asking for them to walk your path with you just that they allow you to walk it without constant harassment from them. Tell them that you love them and you want them in your life.

Sheesh ... I feel like that was rambling.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• What do I do if my mother comes up to me and directly asks me about my religion? She's done that several times before and it makes me nervous when it comes to answering her. Do I just change the subject?
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Ignore them. I'm Pagan, BiSexual, ProChoice... ALL things that my mother is 100% against! She's JW! I didn't speak to her for years because she refused to accept my life. But over the past few years we have gotten closer because even if she hasn't accepted how I live as okay, she's accepted that it's my choice. I'm not saying cut them out, but don't let their opinions bother you. As long as YOU know you are on the right path, it doesn't matter what they think. Stick by your beliefs, answer questions when the come and accept that they aren't going to change!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Dont bring the subject up.

You want them to respect and accept you but you must give the same in return. If the subject makes everyone uneasy or leads to fights then DONT BRING IT UP! That simple.

If they start bashing you for something even tho the subject wasnt brought up then ignore them or change the subject.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• What do I do if my mother comes up to me and directly asks me about my religion?

Tell her that you are happy and you would like for her to be happy that you have found the path that works for you. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Natalie if your mother asks.. then tell her what you do at church. Your mother may just be curious. As believers we need to be able to answer questions from people including family. Other than that do not bring it up.. let them do it and if they ask then respond. Also you have no reason to be nervous .. the bible actually says that the Holy Spirit will speak through you and not to worry about what to say. Just listen to the voice of God and let Him do the rest! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Simply stop trying to make them understand or change them. They are happy with what they have. Let them be. If they ask them answer as much as they appear comfortable hearing. You have to be your own woman. You don't NEED them to be secure and confident in your own choices. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 6:22 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• There is no need to talk about what you or they believe in and the strain will be eased.

Answer by older at 10:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2011