Guess what? We're adopting!

My SIL decided this weekend she is adopting a child. While I love my SIL, and would support almost anything she does, her fiancee makes me nervous. He drinks and once tried to get "close" to me. How do I tell my SIL I don't think her fiancee should ever be responsible for a child without disrupting our relationship?

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Adoption

• Has she been approved for the adoption process?? It is a long and expensive process and every aspect of her home life will be looked out.
    Anonymous

• I think so, she said she was in the ending process of adoptions.
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• She just decided this past weekend to adopt and she's already been approved??

No wonder Renee Bowmans and Torry Hansens of the world slip through the cracks.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 8:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think what she might have said what she'd been trying to adopt for several months now and just now decided to tell her family. I was talking to her on the phone while trying to clean a 3 year old and two dogs of jam.
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Just because it may not take years to go through the process does not mean it is easy or quick. We were approved in a timely fashion and people would say it was fast ........ but in no way can anyone say my child fell through the cracks and ended up in a bad home. People can wait a year or more and still be crappy parents.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The adoption process is hard. They really put you through a lot of questions and a very thorough background check. I am hoping that her fiance's issues come to surface before the adoption is anywhere near finalized.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• And what would you say if SIL came and said, "Guess what, I'm pregnant!"

Unless something actually happened, I don't think you really have any cause for concern. Many people drink, and some get poor social skills when they do. It hardly means they aren't qualified to parent.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 2:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2011