"How was your day, darling?" "I was naughty!" How do I respond?

Every night before bed, I talk to my dd about her day. I stay at home with her right now, so I already know, but I feel it helps to develop her vocabulary to talk to her about it. She tends to remember not events, but when she got mad and cried, and when she was naughty. I don't hold grudges against her when she acts up in the store or whatever, and I don't even bring it up after we've dealt with it. But she seems to still be dealing with her behavior.

How do I respond to her when she does this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• just let her talk...it's good to know she's recognizing those things. sounds like you're handling it well :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Continue with what she is starting. Ask her how she was and why. Ask if she knows how to make sure not to do the bad thing again. Reassure her you know she is growing and learning.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Your dd may be in the process of forming high internal standards. As she matures, these standards might stimulate excellence -- motivating her to achieve personal fulfillment and make valuable contributions to her world.

I would respond with empathy ~ the kind of really deep understanding that makes no attempt to change her thinking but simply acknowledges how she feels in that moment.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 8:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Maybe you could change your question a little ,, by asking her what about the day made you happy. Or what did you like best today. Did you laugh about anything today. I would also ask did you sad at all or angry ext .. beings as she seems a sensitive sole to remember such things.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 5:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2011