Help!!! 4 yr old think he's too big to listen!

I have a very smart 4 year old! I have always stuck to my guns and not let him get away with acting out, but he seems to think that he has grown out of listening! He doesnt hurt anybody, he is and always has been super sweet to his little sis and all other kids (I run an in-home daycare). But lately if I ask him to do something he will flat out ignore me, after I finally get his attention he sometimes will say "I cant hear you" and plug his ears! I have tried a reward chart and everytime he listens well he moves up a spot and when he gets all the way to the top he gets a big reward that he has picked out...sounded like a good idea, worked for his little sister but doesnt seem to work for him! Anyone have any ideas?!?

ELIANDSKY

Asked by ELIANDSKY at 1:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try time outs, goes by age, when he ignores you give him a warning, "im gonna ask you one more time, if you continue to ignore me you will go in time out, " ask him to do it again, if he doesnt, time out, (4 min.) sometimes they will still ignore you, in which you physically put them in tme out, if they run, put them back, if they keep running you may have to hold them there, dont tell them they are bad just tell them they need to listen and when he can sit like a big boy you will let him, dont let him con you to let him sit alone, he will swear up and down next time he will sit there, just tell him then next time you wont have to help him sit :) ive done this lots, when he gets out tell him to do what you asked earlier, if he doesnt well, repeat :) it will take a couple days, maybe even a week or so butthey will und4erstand you mean what you say and wll do what you say good luck
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• you need to let him know that you are his authority,and he needs to respect you,and by ignoring you he is not,Be form with him,be concistent in the way you discipline him.He is triying to see how fatr he can go.Reward are good,but sometimes can be interpreted in a wrong way
    oracao

Answer by oracao at 4:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Unfortunately I think he is just four! I don't think there is anything wrong with your son. My son is 4 as well and he seems to think it's cute or funny to pull little things like that. By the way, I checked out that Noggin thing, and it seems like a waste of time! i am a SAHM so I don't think it is lack of attention either! I honestly just think it's him trying out new independence, he is becoming aware that he can make his own decisions....sorry I don't have a fix, I just don't think there is anything wrong with him either! Wish me good luck, because I am wishing the same of you!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• When my 3 year old ( she turns 4 1/19) acts out me and my fiance makes her put her hands on the wall. if that fails she has to go to her room for time out. She hates her bedroom door being closed so I give her a choice. Either you sit quietly on your bed until I come get you or I can close the door. Your choice. Usually she sits and waits then after we talk about why she was put in time out. If that door does close there's usually a lot of screaming in there but before its closed I tell her its up to her how long shes on time out. Screaming will keep the door closed.
    Both my girls if they scream are allowed to but, in their room. Oddly enough it makes them scream less and be loud if they have to do it in their room. Let them seem like they have a bit of control and choices seems to work even with punishment for my girls. My other daughter is 2 1/2.
    jennifer8585

Answer by jennifer8585 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2008