Have you tried to bring on labour yourself?

I'm almost 39 weeks pregnant (and feeling it). I'm beginning to contemplate that if I'm still pregnant at 40 weeks that I will try some of the "natural" ways to bring on labour (sex, red leaf raspberry tea, etc.).

Did you try to bring on labour? Were you successful? What did you do?

DeliberateMom

Asked by DeliberateMom at 8:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• NOT SAFE - let your body do it naturally!
    Anonymous

• I walked, walked and walked some more. We had sex, lots of spicy food, and for my second daughter I even tried some castor oil (don't do that one, it's disgusting). We were in a real time crunch, he's in the military and was ordered to deploy whether I had the baby or not. My first was 10 days or so early, the second was about a week early, so either something worked or both my due dates were wrong.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 9:06 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I tried walking, sex, pinching my nipples, castor oil, and everything else people told me would put me into labor. I was already 5 cm dilated and not showing signs of going into labor anytime soon (that was at 38 weeks). Nothing worked and I ended being induced 3 days before my due date.
    peekaboo90

Answer by peekaboo90 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I disagree with Anon.

I tried myself and it worked. After full term(36 weeks) I started walking a lot, having more sex, going up and down stairs and I had my baby at week 39 and I had sex with my husband hours before delivery and my doctor said the sex made a ton of difference. As long as it doesn't hurt, and your water hasn't broken it's fine. I wouldn't suggest trying castor oil or anything too extreme like that though, that's not safe.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I tried...and failed
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Having sex, walking, stimulating your nipples - all good.
    But anything you ingest is not suggested. Castor Oil - makes you poop and remember that if it makes you poop it can make the baby poop and that is extremely dangerous.
    Red Leaf Raspberry tea won't start labor, but if you have been drinking it, it helps with the uterine and pelvic muscles.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I tried the nipple stimulation and sex... Definately made me contract buti was induced with both kids. But everyones different
    blondemomma30

Answer by blondemomma30 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I tried with both of my girls. I tried walking (daily), intercourse (almost daily), warm baths, lavendar you name it. In fact, everything short of drinking castor oil and I still had one daughter 1 day late and the second 5 days late.
    Sorry! Hang in there, the end is near. Just keep busy and keep distracted.
    e_room_steph

Answer by e_room_steph at 9:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2011