Blood Pressure 170/110

I was diagnosed with some of the symptoms of preeclampsia about 2 weeks ago and my doc put me on bedrest. He told me the signs to watch for and if I had any of them to go the emergency room. He didnt mention blood pressure but my mom is terminally ill and has her own blood pressure machines that check your pulse. I checked mines about an hour ago and it said 170/110. I am going to go back and check it again to see if it changes. I have headaches like the doctor warned me, I take tylenol they go away maybe an hour and come back. I also keep having heart palpitations my heart doesn't race it kind of flutters. I pretty much have been trying to lay down like my mom told me, but Im worried, I don't know whether to wake my husband and go to the ER or wait until my appt tomorrow morning. My reg. blood pressure is around 90/75 (my doc showed me at my last visit) so I know 170/110 is not normal. Oh and Im 38 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• 170/110 was my reading when they decided to induce me. i was 38 weeks. i didn't have pre-eclampsia, just pregnancy induced hypertension. "normal" range is considered 120/80. i would check it now and if it hasn't improved go to the hospital, those levels are dangerously high and put both of you at risk. in the meantime drink lots and lots of water and lay on your left side.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Don't play around - call the doc's office's after hours on call doc and tell them your issues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You seriously need to get to the hospital.. that is a dangerous level and you could have a stroke.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If your blood pressure does not go down you have to go in. That is at the stage of a possible heart attack or stroke, it is way past normal.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• That is a definite, serious sign of preeclampsia, and it is not safe for you or your baby. You need to get it down ASAP. They may try to do meds to lower it to avoid inducing, or induce you right away. Go to the hospital.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Definitely go to the ER. You could have a stroke or seizure tonight just waiting. Preeclampsia can be very dangerous!

And pack your maternity bag. With levels that high, you may not be coming home pregnant. Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Go to doc
    Ktbugsmom22

Answer by Ktbugsmom22 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2011