Parenting

My 13 soon to be 14 year old daughter wants to quit band she has already taken it for 2 years do you think I should let her or as the school says it is a family choice and they wouldn't let her quit without us saying it was ok

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• it is a family choice, if she feels she doens't want to do it any longer, and it's not a requirement I would talk about possible other majors or minors she may be interested in instead. It's not bad that she wants to quit so long as she has other goals and agendas in mind toward her future within the school as well as a well thought out plan for how it will effect her future in college.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Does she have something else she wants to replace the activity with?

Let me tell you though from the teacher stand point, the worst thing is band students that don't want to take band. They can be disruptive, don't want to play their instrument and would honestly be better dropping out and filing the course space with something else.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• As long as she has another subject or interest to replace band, then let her quit. Nothing is worse than a child being forced to play or participate in an activity they are not interested in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I would let her. My opinion is that if a child tries something and then isn't allowed to quit, then they wont want to try anything ever again for fear of being forced to continue doing it. Haven't you ever tried something and didn't like it? The only time I wouldn't let my child quit would be if a team is relying on her then I would make her stay until the end of the season or until she can be replaced.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011