I'm adopted!

My real name is Oilbhe(Olivia) o Raghallaigh(O'Reilly). This worried me, b/c along with being hormonal, I also am worried about who I really am. Should I tell my daughter or wait until she's older? Should I change my name from Natalie to Olivia? Should I try to find my real mum? And how should I carry myself around my family, knowing I'm not related by blood?

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Adoption

• do whatever you feel but try to find your mom and find out why!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• did u just find out?
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, yeah, like on Saturday evening, my parents took aside and told me they adopted me. I mean, I'm 26 and pregnant, they aren't doing a good job of keeping me calm.
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• How do you know you are adopted? Why can't you ask your parents about it?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Kword, my family and I are kind of in a rough spot right now. They don't approve of my Vegeterianism, Lutheranism, and having a baby. I don't like that they didn't tell me I was adopted for 26 years!
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Hon, it sounds as if you might need some therapy to help you through this patch.
    Anonymous

• Well, I wish I was adopted. My pparents suck sooooo bad!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• They waited that long, wow! Did they say why they chose to tell you now?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'm not in exactly the same boat, I was adopted by my father now and knew why I was given up by my real father. I will say that your parents now have been your parents for 26 years. They are still your parents and still love you (despite not approving of your lifestyle choices). I'm sure they probably gave you a better life in the long run. I imagine that is the cause for most adoptions in general.

It must be difficult to find out such a big piece of news about yourself after thinking you were somebody completely different. I considered changing my name to my real father's last name a number of times after I reached majority, but you know what? I couldn't do it. I felt it was a matter of respect to my father who loved and protected for the insane man who wanted to hurt my mother and I. I would feel your parents out and then decide about finding your real mother. Nothing wrong with wanting answers.
    crysthecen

Answer by crysthecen at 9:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Gomez, no, not really. I mean they said it was b/c I was pregnant, but um, (a I've been preg. for over 2 months, and (b what about when my first child was being born, or I was married, or any other time? I just feel so abandoned b/c now I don't know who I really am.
    Oh and Anonymous, trust me, I am going through counciling, unfortunately.
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011