To make the beds or not

I have been cleaning a cabin for sometime and it has so many beds in it it takes me 1-1/2 to make them all. Theirs 5 bunk beds 4 Queen beds the other day I missed out on going up they got my emergency backup to go in and clean, the guy told me she didn't make any of the beds at all. She folded down the comforter and put the folded sheets on the bed. I have 3-4 hours to get everything done and I'm moving non stop. This includes getting 3 loads of towels washed and dried. I do this without help. I was thinking it would'nt be cool to leave the beds unmade. When you arrive at a place to stay your beds aren't unmade at all in fact their done up very nice. When I make the beds they are done military style no way would I think someone would think that my beds have been slept in. Do you agree that I should keep the beds unmade or make them up? I would like to spend less time on those darn beds. Check out time is 11am check in 3pm I have to be done between that time frame so the next group can come in. TO be frank I would be pissed to go to a cabin to find none of the beds made what are your thoughts?

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are there two sheets to put on the bed? If so could you put the first sheet down the one that is fitted then fold up the second sheet & comforter at the foot of the bed? I say this bc honestly I only like the one sheet personally on my bed so I would spread out the comforter & toss aside the other sheet I am sure I'm not the only person like this.

I wouldnt leave the beds completely undone bc like you said when you are going to some place that is all made & done & cleaned I would expect the bed to at the very least have the bottom sheet over it. In my opinion that would be just fine & I'd be good with that =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Oh yeah are you also going around the place making beds & then doing other stuff? If you are could you do the beds as you come up on them to clean out that particular section/room? Saves time running around.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I do all the beds first. It's such a headache. the bunkbeds are higher than the usual beds,and have awkward foot and headboards.
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Why dont you try doing the beds as you get to the rooms to clean them. So go into a room & do everything dont leave it until all is done then go to the next one. This may shave some time off. I personally hate to make beds so this would be annoying for me to have to make beds for my job lol
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• What does your employer think/expect? What kind of cabins are we talking about?

I have stayed in many, many cabins and rental houses. Quite a few don't come with linens. Those that come with linens OFTEN come with linens placed at the foot of each bed, or even in one linen basket.

In general, if I am staying one night, I don't expect to be making the bed when I get there. If I am staying for a week, I'm not surprised and don't think badly if I do have to make the bed, though I love the bed made.

If we are talking a daily or mid-stay cleaning where sheets are taken and new sheets are left? Then I would say make the bed! Nothing like coming back and thinking your bed is ready to get into and finding you have to remake it! I would generally rather have the same sheets all week then find myself making up the bed every day.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:07 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• He says it's up to me. most of thee reservations are anywhere from 3 days to 1 week. It's my discretion what I do. I would feel so weird not making the beds lol I'm a little ocd
    MarGeee

Comment by MarGeee (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• If I was going for less than a week I would want my bed made and probably expect it. It wouldn't be a sticking point on it's own, but I would probably grouse while I made the beds if I was only going to be there two nights :-)

Whatever *I* think, if you hold yourself to a higher standard, go with it. Even if your employer leaves it to you, there is a reason he chose your services and continues with you. You clearly have a high level of excellence (I like a good military cornered bed; I think tight as a tick beds are awesome when I go to hotels and other lodging) that I'm sure extends beyond the bed.

Micromanaged or not, people (employers/clients and customers) notice.

Whatever you decide going forward, keep up the good work. You sound like an excellent service provider!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011