How should I react when my 6 year old son tells me he thinks a boy in his class is cute?

We were going through photos of his summer camp class and a photo of a boy classmate of his came along. My son got really embarrassed and wanted to keep looking at it. Then he said that he thought this boy was cute. He then said something else, which I didn't hear, and he wouldn't repeat it.

I don't care what my son's sexual orientation is, I just was taken aback. I kind of shrugged it off and didn't make a big deal out of it, but should I be asking more questions or something?

youngmomdenver

Asked by youngmomdenver at 9:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good for you to be open minded about how is sexual orientation will be. Maybe you could ask some questions just simple ones like does he find anyone else cute, what does he think the word cute means, etc. Dont make a big fuss of it but dont shut down talking about it either. Just be normal like you would if you were talking about him thinking a girl was cute. Your doing a good job =)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I agree with the previous poster.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Mel30248 gave the best answer!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yeah that's a tough one. I believe my son was saying something along those lines but after talking about it I had a talk with his aunt! He said something about taylor lautner from twilight and he saw him on tv. What he was saying was what she was saying to her friends... His aunt is only 13. I am amazed at how young he is and is wanting to be "in" and trying to follow already and he hasn't even started kindergarten. You could try and ask him about the kid maybe cute was the only word he could think of to describe what he was trying to get across or heard someone else from his class call him that. And you've gotta let him know its OK to be whoever he wants to be and not just go with others because he thinks he should.

horseap

Answer by horseap at 9:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• i agree Mel30248 gave the best answer
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 9:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• you rockI was going to say the same thing as Mel30248. i'm am so happy that you are being supportive of him. you are a great mommy

ajs16919

Answer by ajs16919 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Perhaps it is a crush. Perhaps that kid was a kid he felt particularly drawn to for some reason and doesn't know how else to express it. But just keep any conversation about it light. Mel said exactly what I think I wanted to.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• In addition to everything the others have said, I would let him know that he does not have to be embarrassed to tell you things like that. You don't want that to hold him back.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• When I was young there was a girl in my class that I thought was REALLY cute. I got a nervous/funny feeling around her and I wished I could be friends with her. I'm not a lesbian and I'm not even bi, never have been. I couldn't explain that, but it kind of felt like a crush, I just didn't know how to differentiate the feelings, kwim? I guess the same could go for boys.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon. When I was about 7, a new girl transferred into my school. We are a small, middle to low income town. We didn't see a lot of nice cars or brand name clothes. Our clothing store was WalMart and the nearest anything else is nearly 100 miles away. This girl had leather boots and her parents drove a nice car. She had Nikes and Sketchers and Hollister and Buckle clothing. Stuff we didn't have here. I felt drawn to her because she was so different, so new. And I was intimidated by her. I would stare at her and wonder what her life was like at home. In short, I fantasized about it. I never told anyone except my mom because it felt weird. Looking back on it, I think it was a novelty thing. I just didn't know how else to explain it.

Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011