How Do i Stop this bad habit

For some reason my daughter gets mad and starts hitting her head against the wall or pinches herself or bites herself. What i don't understand is why she does it?....i have never hit her or pinched her even less bite her. How do i get her to stop? (13 month old)

DAlexis

Asked by DAlexis at 2:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• some babies seem to do that, Im not sure why. but you can talk to your childs peditrician to get some ideas on how to stop that behavior.
    AuntieVetta

Answer by AuntieVetta at 2:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Attention seeking behavior....try walking away and see what she does. No reaction what so ever. This will tell you if she is just trying to test you. Do this several times.
    Many times children this age are frustrated with their inability to express themselves, their needs and concerns. When she calms down try to figure out what is soo upsetting to her and then give her the attention...when she is calm. good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• i would try a behavior health therapist
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• this may be a sign of autism, behaviors like this are often signs of a receptive problem. You can try giving her a toy when she does these actions and see if it helps but don't blame yourself.
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• My son would bite hisself so hard that he was drawing blood. He would have bite marks all over his hands, arms and the part of his legs he could reach. The best thing I found was a chewy tube or a vibrating teether. He can bite it when hes frustrated and it gets it out of system so he does not feel the need to harm hisself as oftern. Hope this helps!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It's NORMAL! Just try to stop her when she's doing it... it's part of the temper tantrum process. My son would bang his head on the floor or slap himself (usually his tummy or legs). I would get down & restrain him lightly and say, "No fits, you'll hurt yourself." And sometimes if he would cry after banging his head on the floor, I'd get down and tell him, "Stop doing that." Your child will stop doing it soon... it'll turn into lying on the floor while flailing her arms and legs. When my son does that, I put him on the couch (time out) and tell him to settle down.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I've tried walking away from it and she still does it. I tried time out for hitting herself and she still does it. Some times she does it as a comfort thing because she will bang her head so she can go to sleep. and i talked to her doctor and they told me it's nothing to worry about, that she would grow out of it. She has been doing this since she was about 5 months old.
    DAlexis

Answer by DAlexis at 12:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2008