Toe nail falling off

I stubbed my middle toe, on some my husbands (stupid, pain in the ass) work equipment, so hard the nail is falling off. He told me to go ahead and pull it off, since it's just hanging on on one side, my MIL agrees, my mom said leave it and go to the doctor.

Advice?

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 10:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Health

• GIRLLLLLLLL......LET ME TELL YOU.... I DID THE SAME THING ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND ALSO I WAS HELPING MY HUBBY.......JUST TAKE IT OFF I HAD TO DO IT BUT IT WAS MY BIG TOE LOL IT LOOKS FUNNY BUT ITS STARTING TO GROW BACK THE FASTER YOU TAKE IT OFF THE FASTER IT WILL GROW BACK ...........LOL I WILL SEND YOU SOME TOE DUST
    lovevlj31

Answer by lovevlj31 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• you can pull it off so long as it's not really attached.. it typically takes about 9 months for a toe nail to grow back fully so long as the matrix wasn't damaged.. you will want to see your doctor though so you don't get an infection on your nail bed now that it is exposed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:49 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Meant to tell you earlier, go ahead and take it off. Use epsom salts after a week to soak in. It will sting but it will keep it clean. I've done it before but you shoudl be fine. Takes a while to grow back but its true that the sooner you remove the nail the faster and I might add more cleanly it will grow back. Sometimes if you leave the old nail on and it starts to grow back it can change eh whole growth pattern of your nail bed and thats just a pain in the ass you don't want.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 2:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Thanks. After reevaluating I discovered it's only half off and still firmly attached on the other side. Gonna have to just let it grow out for right now.

LadybugTash

Comment by LadybugTash (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011