Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How would you handle this? (long)

My husband's brother and his girlfriend are meth heads. They live behind my husband's parents house free of charge (they own the house and pay the electric bill and let him stay there...even though they have asked him to leave they never really make him). These two have two children who are being raised by the rest of the family because they are so strung out and actually have been caught with a meth lab in the house, but my husband's parents destroyed/ removed the materials to "keep him out of trouble." They look like walking death, and I keep telling them that at this point, jail might save thier lives.
The house that they live in is in my husband's parents' back yard. Think meth residue in the walls, dirty needles, and assorted other nastiness. I found out yesterday that while my kids were visiting my inlaws, my son and nephew (the son of the meth addict) went in to this house to look for an xbox game. (My kids were with my sister-in-law but went to my husband's parents to use their pool). I am beyond freaked out and angry.
My question is.......can I call Social Services for their being a home on my in-laws property endangering children?
My kids aren't going over there again until the meth heads are gone. But in the mean mother in law is raising his two kids. Can't the police condemn this place?
***My in-laws are good people they just don't understand that they are enabling.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • I would sit down with your in laws and have a serious talk with them and let them know what your intentions are, Its not a safe place for yours or their kids.

    Answer by MommyBre21 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • I would call the police and explain the situation because you don't want to cause trouble for your in-laws either but if they make another meth lab and it blows up or someone finds out your in-laws will be in trouble too. Plus having kids around meth addicts is dangerous..calling the police is the best move here I think.

    Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • well, honestly if you call the police you could have issues with the in laws.. their child is a serious hazard to them, not only medically (meth labs are VERY dangerous to be near or around), but legally as well. they could loose their home, the children they are raising, EVERYTHING...
    I'd have a good sit down with them(in laws).. if THEY make the call about their child and his wife it shouldn't effect them, if YOU make the call it may.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • I agree with Gomez. These people will NOT help themselves unless forced. Meth is Satan himself in the form of addiction. It is a horrible addiction and will either kill them or cause consequences which are unbelievable. You are actually doing them a favor by intervening. They can not and will not help themselves. Meth is too powerful to allow that. It is sad, but it will only get worse if left to chance. Understand that there is no hope until someone makes the change for them. I have had very personal experiences with meth addicts. ( tweekers and bangers- shooters and smokers) Please do not feel guilty and help your in laws to understand. If possible you might be able to get a professional interventionist to help you. I too would get your in-laws and go together to seek help for them. Good Luck. You can use law enforcement and social services to get the information and save their lives...


    Answer by LeJane at 10:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Thank you...I want what is best for everyone. I have never had any experience with meth addicts, before. It is sad, this is such a wonderful family, but it just goes to show--it can affect anyone. I don't want to get my in-laws in trouble. I am just so worried about my nephews (brother-in-law's kids) and how easy it is for them or any other kids to get in to the house. I am frustrated that my in-laws are covering up for them. (Police were called a few months back and my father-in-law found out and destroyed the tanks, chemicals, etc..) If he had gone to jail, then, maybe he would have gotten some help. ?? There are worse things than jail. I think I will talk to them, but you know denial is a powerful thing.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • Call Child Protective Services and tell them you are concerned about the kids. You can make an anonymous tip. They will check it out. The kids and your husband's parents don't need that. You would only be doing it for their safety.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Are you willing to possibly have the inlaws fined or jailed for allowing this to happen?
    Talk to them and tell them you will not be allowing your kids to even go to THEIR house until that family out back is gone

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • The thing with meth is, it changes their body chemically and they literally can't live without it. (Saw a documentary). So you have to explain to the in-laws they will never just quit!! And that they will probably die soon due to these drugs! Not to mention themselves having heart attacks from the residue! Just get all the facts together, help them see it in black and white! And also contact an interventionist to help! Maybe if they realize their son's life is at stake they will decide to act!

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
How do you do it?