what is a chore for my 8 year old to do around the house

sweetpea292

Asked by sweetpea292 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take out the trash, dishes, clean his room and bathroom, vaccuum.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My 8 year old feeds our dog, makes his bed, sets the table, picks up toys.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 1:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have my 7 year old put away his own laundry and take out the garbage. Depending on your child and how "clean" they are....I would say 8 is old enough to dust as well...like assign one room
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:26 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Take out the trash, make his bed and keep his room picked up, fold towels, feed the animals, set the dinner table.....the possibilities are endless : )
    I gave my sons chores starting when they were 5...they're teens now and still have chores but less because the have jobs. If asked they would know how to clean this house from top to bottom. They wouldn't like it but the would know how...LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My son takes out the trash (depending on the bag), makes his bed....feeds dog and vacuums. there are a few other things he does from time to time. I vacuum once a day so he does not have to do it everyday. He loves to try to do the dishes but we have some work to go on that.
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• feeding the animals is a really good one.

make his bed, set the table, maybe even help with the meals, stirring things or getting things from the fridge for you.

keep his room clean, make the bed, toys put away, laundry in the laundry basket.

things you will want him to continue to do when he is older.
    Anonymous

• We do a chore chart & hang it in the kitchen. My son asked if we could do this. We decided together what the chores should be. We have daily chores ie.. take trash out, make bed, pick up toys, We have weekly chores, chores that need to be done once a week & he picks the day, Clean glass on doors, vaccum room, (i always do it again but he doesn't know that) clean under bed. When each chore is done I put a check mark on the chore chart. At the end of the week if all are done he gets $5. If not all are done he get less.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 4:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Every day, my son feeds and gives his cat fresh water, scoops the litter box, sweeps the floor and takes the litter out to the trash. Every day, he gives his guinea pig fresh food and water (I clean the cage, the cat box is enough responsibility at this time). When I do laundry, my son helps fold it and he always puts his own clothes away. He helps carry the groceries in and put them away. He helps vacuum and mop. His favorite thing to to is to clean mirrors and windows.
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 5:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My 8 year old (and his younger brother) both clean up after dinner (rinse and load the dishes, put away leftovers etc.), set the table, feed the dog, make their beds, help with the laundry, bring in firewood as well as clean up their own toys.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have to say, "GREAT ANSWERS EVERYBODY". I feel like the only one sometimes that has a lot of chores for my 8 year old son. Lets see, He takes the dog out, puts up his own laundry after I"ve washed, dryed and folded it. He helps with windows (which he loves), he vacuums out the car with me, windexes the car windows. After each meal, each child is responsible for their plates. On really "off" days he'll put a batch of chicken nuggets in the microwave for me for all the little kids. Once a week, we all clean the house together, and he loves to swiff the floors and then mop. He doesn't get that job every week, tho.
    Love2laugh30

Answer by Love2laugh30 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008