Gas smell in my house due to dirt bike....long story but curious if its a health hazard. Looking for opinions.

My son(he's 14) left the gas on on his dirt bike. I didn't even realize it had a switch for such a thing.
The dirt bike is he and his dads thing. I don't really know much about how to turn it on. Anyway, I went outside for a while and when I came back in I smelled gas in the house. My son had put his dirt bike in the garage and forgot to turn the gas off. I went on a mad hunt to figure out where it was comimg from. My son followed me and when we were both in the garage he reached down to turn a switch off on the dirt bike and said my bad. I was baffled. Then he said he forgot to turn the gas off. I was feeling slightly nauseated but I dont know if it was my imagination. My son was feeling nauseated earlier today but we thought he just ate too much. My six year old said she was feeling nauseated too. I opened every window and door in the house and the garage door to air it out. What do you think? overkill or were was that kind of like turning on a gas burner and closing the doors? I never knew that a dirt bike had such a thing on it. I sure hope I remember to double check behind my son from now on to make sure he has turned the gas off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Health

• Open windows and oos for a while & air the house out. If you still feel sick you should go to the ER
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes, gas fumes are bad.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• No it is definitely a health hazard and inhaling too much can make you feel dizzy/nauseated. You did the right thing airing out the house, I'd turn fans on too.
    Anonymous

• Depending on how long ago this happened, u need to get some fans, open up every window u have exhauste fan, turn it on.like u did so no it was not an overkill.Gas is heavier then air, For example the pilot light on a water heater level. Gas can be highly explosive in the right concentrations.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 11, 2011