Kirby Vacuums.....

My husband made the mistake of letting a vaccum salesman into the house today. He stayed 2 hours and kept talking and talking and making comments about our house. They pitch vacuums by cleaning your house and "showing" you exactly how filthy your house is, even though you do indeed clean. By the time he was ready to leave I felt like a cleaning faliure and the biggest ass because I just couldn't stand up and kick him out. He ended up selling us a $1900 vacuum in which we need to make $55 payments every month of over 2 years. I don't know what to do, I feel like the biggest idiot, because we do NOT have an extra $55 just laying around a month. PLUS he took our other vacuums with him when he left. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You got played by Kirby. Hate their sales pitch, hate their vacuums.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• We made the same mistake however I love my kirby. We had one as a kid.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Hate Kirby...theyre con artists to the people they sell too, but ALSO to their salemen. I knew a guy who worked for them for a short time and he was LITERALLY paying THEM to sell their shit.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 10:54 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• OMG!!!!! Call tomorrow and explain. Write a letter telling them that you do not want to have the contract and mail certified. I believe you may have a 3 or 4 day cooling off period. Take action immediately.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:55 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I'm so sorry. Is there a "buyer's remorse" feature? Can you cancel this? Usually you can, especially when there is such a lot of money involved. We had a very inept Kirby salesman come to our house once. They "cheat". He had a secret little toggle switch that he would hit and it would dump a fine gray powdery dirt onto my carpet. If he'd been better at it, I wouldn't have noticed. Yes, Kirbys are pretty good vacuums, but they are NOT that great, and they most certainly are not worth that kind of money! Especially when you cannot afford it. I'd rather spend $400 on a pretty good vacuum and have a fairly clean house, than $1500 on a vacuum and be too poor to go on a vacation for a couple of years. Think about it, and discuss it with your honey. I'm sure you could cancel this if you decide to, and you may feel like a stronger, more capable person.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• LOOK ON THE BACK OF YOUR CONTRACT - there should be a way to cancel it and tell them they need to return your property.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• You have three days to cancel your contract. http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/kirby/kirby_cancel.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:58 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Definitely cancel the contract. If you really like the Kirby, you can buy one much cheaper online. We bought one that way. Don't like it much tho cause it's very heavy and we have 2 sets of stairs.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:01 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• The Kirby creeps came to my house once, and just talked and talked and talked! And got me so irritated, so I got up and left the room and my husband followed me and I said loudly, they better leave now before I kick their asses and throw their shit out the window, and then the guy had nerve to ask me if I wanted the vacuum free of charge and I said to his face that I wouldn't take anything from him at all and to leave my home.

I feel so bad that you got punked by them :-/ that sucks!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• I remember my friend who started selling the kirby vacuums...Boy, was his paycheck astonishing. He got 8,000 dollars after one, and he tried getting me into the business. I just couldn't walk around ripping people off. There is always a way to cancel it. If not, let them repo it.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2011