My niece's little problem

My niece Brianna went to a Specialist recently, and we found out that she is autistic. She's 3 and can't look you in the eye when you talk to her. When she's put with other children, including my DD, she can't talk to anyone like a normal child. How do we deal with this? What are some good pyschology studies or treatments? Also, my SIL, Leah, is pregnant again and they're scared something will happen to this child. Is it possible to keep this child from being autistic or is it out of their control?

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It is out of their control, unfortunately.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Autism is not a one size fits all disorder. What works to help one child does not necessarily help another.  In addition, different parents feel comforable trying different things. 

I would suggest looking for a local autism support group.  They can usually get you started as to different treatments available in your area.  You can also look at the Autism Speaks website for information.  http://www.autismspeaks.org/

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• at three you can go get a full evaluation for preschool done through your school district, they will evaluate all her needs and help with programs to help her and her parents with her needs
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Quantum bio feedback has been helpful in several autism cases.....
    nspirit

Answer by nspirit at 6:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011