Boy or girl?

This is my second child, and I'm only two months along, but I've always wanted to know how they tell the babies gender and how far along you have to be for them to confirm it.

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Usually during an ultrasound at 20 weeks. They do all kinds of measurements and can usually see the genitals.

Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 12:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Uhm if this is your 2nd wouldn't you know? they see the genitals on the ultrasound. and usually at 20 weeks.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• They use an ultrasound and normally wait until 20 weeks. An amniocentesis can also verify but that is a test used normally for higher risk pregnancies for abnormalities.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Keeely, I was really panicked with my first and couldn't recall anything they said. My DH has short-term memory issues and forgot too. Plus, a lot has been going on with my family, so my doctor didn't bother explaining it (he also assumed I already knew.)
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Oh my gosh, I just checked my calendar, which is super cluttered, and realized in a like 6 and a half weeks, I am indeed going to the doctor's for that reason. I feel really dumb now. I'm going to slurp some more coffee.
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• boy 37 weeks
    heidimks

Answer by heidimks at 12:17 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My doctor seems to think I'm having twins, but is not positive, which is something that scares me. I mean, shouldn't doctor be able to tell if I'm having more than one kid? I'm considering asking for someone else to oversee the rest of the period of time I'm pregnant.
    nataliekateof2

Comment by nataliekateof2 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• 18-20 weeks
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• actually some mom posted an article a few days ago or so about how gender can possible be determined b4 18-20wks by where your plecenta is located ..i beleive it said left its a girl and right its a boy...not 100% on that sorry idk where she got the article...but the study had amazing results...mayb google for that article...good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My doctors won't check until I am 18 to 22 weeks along... Total bummer. The gender parts for as early as 12 weeks, but I think they only like to look once the baby is big enough to be certain.
    gibsongirl017

Answer by gibsongirl017 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011