17 month old daughter won't wear shoes...help!

We live on a farm in Utah so it is obviously cold this time of year. My 17 month old daughter won't wear shoes so I have to pack her around while we do chores. Do you have any advice?

happydaystoday

Asked by happydaystoday at 1:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of my two year old twins is very particular about what he wears on his feet as well. He wouldn't even try on boots when we went shopping for them (although I've since found a pair he likes and will wear). In fact, when I bought him a second pair of sneakers he completely freaked out and wouldn't wear them. I ended up returning them and buying him a second pair of what he already but in a different color.

Just keep trying a variety of different types of shoes until you find a pair that she'll wear. Try putting shoes on her when you get her dressed in the morning. Let her wear them as much as possible and praise her for wearing her shoes like a big girl.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Robeez, pediped, jack and lily shoes are awesome. My dd only wears the soft soled ones around b/c she cant walk good in hard soled shoes. Plus they are better for there feet development. I even let her go outside in them b/c they dont seem, to get wet or dirty. they are leather. Try them!! oh and they cant really take them off b/c they have an elastic band around the ankle! If you find them a bit pricey..(i do) you can find some good deals on ebay or an off brand they sell at target and babies r us. Good Luck
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Make sure that her shoes fit her comfortably I would take her to a stride rite store and find out exactly what size she is because Sean went through a phase where he wouldn't keep shoes on his feet and I come to find out the shoes were too narrow and were just uncomfortable and maybe try to find shoes that look just like the ones you wear because toddlers love to do what mommy does.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I am in the exact same position, i live in the countryside in a big farmhouse style home and i have a 17mo old boy and he hates wearing shoes and we buy him loads just to make sure they are the right size etc. and it's a waste of money. Most babies are like this and would rather not wear shoes, what we do it make sure the house is warm at all time but that runs up the gas and electricity but we invested in insulation around the house etc. Maybe try slipper type shoes my boy loves them or take her to be specially fitted.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 5:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008