I have a 2 1/2 year old boy who i am tring to potty train who is not talking yet

and a new born on the way and he is my first born can any one help me i think he is ready because be for he was 2 over night he seem to stay dry and in the morning in less i did not get he form his room right when he got up he was not wet at all and he started taking his close off by him self with out help i went to start before now but my husband thought we should wait in tell he started talking but with the fact that we have one on the way and he is starting school in january when he turns 3 i thought we should try now  before it gets any later can any one help

rosebud143

Asked by rosebud143 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• If he isn't ready to train, he won't, so don't try to push him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The average age boys potty train is 38 months. That's 2 months after he turns 3. I would just encourage using the potty but when he wants to, he will. Both my kids trained themselves. LOL
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• if your 2 1/2 y/o is showing signs hes ready for the potty.. then id get a potty an try an get him used to it first, after that try having him go when he shows you he needs to go. an go from there :) good luck its not easy but keep at it!!

(signs for us were hiding when he had to potty, no more wet diapers at night, holding the diaper when he had to pee, etc)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Definitely don't push him to do it until he's ready. It probably won't work if he can't communicate with you.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• first of all, just because a child can not talk, does not mean he can not communicate! My son is 20 years old and still doesn't talk much, but he was potty trained by the time he was 3 years old. It takes patience, just like with any other child. Look for his signs, he is communicating with you, you just have to be observant. There is no reason he can't go potty like a big boy. Work with him just as you would any other child and you will see progress.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• He doesn't need to be able to talk to potty train. You just need to teach him a few signs in sign language. If he's ready. don't let a lack of speech get in the way.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Obviously communication is not limited to words. I didn't think I needed to put 'verbal' in my sentence but apparently so. My point was, there doesn't have to be a rush in potty training. When they're ready they will do it.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011