S/o What do you think: when is it appropriate or not appropriate to invite?

In another question one answer noted that it was never alright to invite someone - even of the same religion, but another denomination - to attend any event/worship service.

This seems a little farther on the spectrum than the feel I've gotten on CafeMom, but where is your personal level of comfort?

When would you/wouldn't you invite? And when would you/wouldn't you think someone else had stepped over the line?

This is a debate forum, and while I know what I feel for me personally I don't actually think there is a right or wrong to this question going in, because I am asking what you think. Clearly, you know better than I what you DO think, even if we disagree on the conclusions, right?

KateDinVA

Asked by KateDinVA at 12:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't think it's ever wrong to offer an invitation, however, personally I don't invite unless someone has shown interest in some way.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would not invite anyone that did not show an outright interest in my faith
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:57 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• DH and I invite people who are involved in our lives somehow. And since we do not live in a one religion, and one way to practice it universe, of course we invite those who do not practice as we do. Those who are uncomfortable decline. Those who are of a different religion who come do so because they like/love us and want to support us. A perfect example is my room mate from college, she is a very conservative Christian. DH and I are Jewish. She came to DS1's bar mitzvah to support us and find out more about who we are. She had the best time and has thanked us on several occasions for including her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:58 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I invite whoever, no matter what your religion is, I'll put it out there to you because I think it's fun or what have you, if you don't want to come that's fine, I'm not offended. If you do come great!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree with the above answers. I have only invited one person to go to church with me and that was my sil. She had gotten robbed at her job, and really didn't handle it well. On her own she began getting more spiritual and wanting to know more. She wasn't an atheist, she always believed in God but never attended a church or claimed a religion. She brought the subject up with me since I grew up in church and my dad is a preacher. She had been through something traumatic and was looking for answers/comfort. I told her she was free to go with me whenever she wanted. I wouldn't invite someone who showed no interest first.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Saying "hey if your interested..." is not stepping over the line and that invitation would be acceptable IMO to anyone for the first time. After you have received a decline asking again would be out of line. Having said that, I don't invite unless they show some sort of interest.

I do invite my in laws to sacraments for the children such as Baptisms, First Communions, Confirmations and, of course, they were invited to our wedding in a Catholic Church. After one event, I read on my SIL's page she was happy to be in church again and this led to her attending Church on a regular basis. They practice with AoG and were not offended when they were asked to attend a Catholic Mass. They were happy to share with the kids(thier neices, nephews, grandsons granddaughters and cousins) in their spiritual journey
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 1:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It's not ok to invite someone of the same religion but of a different denomination? Really? That's a new one on me. Then again, I have never worried about being "politically correct". *Shrugs.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:54 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yeah, I don't see any problem with invitations to other denominations of Christianity to a Christian event. That's kinda silly, IMO. But yeah, even extending it to other religions is more than okay, IMO, as long as it's just an open sort of "if you're interested..." kind of thing, with no pressure to accept the invite.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'm buddhist, so I don't have 'events' as such like church.. but yes if it came up I'd invite anyone, I;'d just be offering. If they don't want to go then they don't want to go and depending on their reason for declining I wouldn't ask again. Still always answer their questions though.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Back home, my friends and I would take turns visiting each others churches sometimes, we were all different denominations. I don't see the big deal.

Charjs4

Answer by Charjs4 at 5:10 AM on Jul. 12, 2011