My 17 month has a cold ...

Any home remedies to make it easier on her would be great! ...I know you can't do much for a cold so if anyone had any advice that would be great : ) Thanks xoxoxo

MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 1:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We use a humidifier.
    happydaystoday

Answer by happydaystoday at 1:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Put vicks baby rub on the bottoms of his feet (I know it sounds weird..but it works) and make him leave his socks on...
    bdmartin_81

Answer by bdmartin_81 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If her nose is stuffy take her in the bathroom and let the steam from a hot shower help her.
    jdscirto

Answer by jdscirto at 1:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I'd like to add to the previous replies. In addition to following their recommendations, I also suggest: feeding her chicken soup (or even just the broth), using saline nasal drops and a bulb syringe to help clear mucous, and fluids, fluids, fluids.
    Hope she's feeling better soon!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I agree with the other ladies - the saline drops in the nose, then waiting a couple minutes for it to melt the boogies, then suck them out (slowly) with the aspirator. Also, running a hot shower and sitting with her in the bathroom for a little will help to open her up a bit...and make sure she has LOTS of fluids. Dairy tends to create more mucous though, so maybe just water and juice if she drinks it.
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• This is what i do, Do a vapor bath.... Elevate the crib (if shes still in one) I put books under one side of the legs... Use baby vicks on chest and i do the feet with socks too.... lots of fluids! Good luck, I hate when they are sick
    TraceyLynne

Answer by TraceyLynne at 4:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You could also elevate the crib by putting a pillow UNDERNEATH the mattress on one side.
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Thanks ladies for all your advice! I have been using it ...I have caught the cold so I will be using it for myself LOL
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 9:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008