Whats the best way to regain control over my kids?

My husband went back to working on the road doing construction and now the kids run all over me!!! They a girl 8(with adhd) and boy 5!!! I want to have control of them and need help!!! Please help me thanks

ktancamsmom

Asked by ktancamsmom at 1:14 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ask your self what is it that you feel is out of control about them. Write your self a list of 2 or 3 things that you want to change. Set your self some reachable goals. Be aware of your own downfalls. For example are you more likely to give in to bad behaviour when your tired, you need to know your self and Highlight your strong points. I would also keep a diary of your own behaviour.
    I truly believe that all children need is consictancey, they push us and the boundaries but as soon as they realise what is expected of them they will smart up. If your kid knows he can get what he wants if he wines that little more, he will keep doing it. ~Set it out straight (1) this is what I want you to do (2) this is what will happen if you dont listen to me first time.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 5:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Find the best disciplinary procedure for each one of them. Start out with time-outs. Get yourself a timer, if you don't already have one, and find a different spot for each. Draw up a list of rules and display it where they both can see. Use pictures along with words showing inappropriate/unacceptable behavior if your 5 yr.old cannot read. Explain to them the consequence of violating one of the rules-that he/she will be placed in a time-out spot where they must remain until the bell or buzzer goes off. The timer should be set 1 minute for each of their ages, so 5 min. for the 5 yr.old and 8 min. for the 8 yr.old. You must be consistent and persistent with both. If this does not work for one or both of them, try punishment to fit the "crime" even if it involves spanking. "Different strokes for different folks." I raised 4 children, now adults, in this way. What worked for one did not necessarily work for another.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:27 AM on Jul. 12, 2011