Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex offender - Say something or stay out of it?

Ok, LONG story, I'll try to make it as short as possible.

I've been friends with this gal for over ten years, she has an 8 year old (got pregnant when she was 15) and a 5 year old (married the dad right before graduation, then got pregnant), both kids are girls. When youger DD was 2 they were divorced and she moved back in with her parents (and both girls).

Really shortly after that she was diagnosed with a super rare condition that caused a TON of problems, physically and mentally. She is pretty much fully recovered physically, but mentally she is still fairly 'slow.'

A while back she started dating a guy who is a registered sex offender. I used to work with him and know the entire story - he was CONVICTED of molesting his own child (a little girl) and the girl he dated after getting out of jail lost her children to the state because it was against his parol to be around children and he lived there. He even ended up back in jail for the parol violation.

Anyhow, so this girl is dating this sex offender, and I KNOW she knows about it, but is still dating him. I am torn whether or not I should say something to someone (IDK, maybe her parents?) because this CANNOT be a good situation. He started dating her just a few weeks after getting out of jail for the parol violation, and he is still not supposed to be around kids.

Would you say something or just stay the hell out of it?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (22)
  • I would contact, in the following order - her parents - telling them what is going on, and that you are going to his Parole Officer. Then I would contact his Parole Officer if you know who it is. If you don't, then I would contact your local police station (on their non - emergency number, you don't want to be connected to 911), and explain the situation to them - that you know for a fact that there is a registered sex offender who is spending time with a young girl whose mother is mentally challenged.

    Then, if none of that works, contact CPS.

    Good luck to you with this - my prayers are with that little girl!

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:31 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • I would call CPS. If she knows he is a sex offender and still lets him around her kids, she is just as culpable as he is if he molests those girls. She is putting them in danger, someone needs to look out for her kids.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:26 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • I would call CPS and do some prevention because they will have her make a choice.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • I would also call CPS, even though she is your friend she is putting her child at risk. Not only will a molestation affect her child in the here and now, but for her ENTIRE life as well.. trust me.

    You #1 responsibliity is to protect that child, you have already tried to reason with your friend. You need to call CPS NOW!

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • I would say something...she is putting herself and her children at serious risk.

    Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • I would inform CPS immediately or the parole officer for this creep. The things he could have already done to these children are all too possible. Children need a voice, we as people are obligated to always put them first weather they are ours or not we protect them always.

    Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:53 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • Call CPS as soon as possible.

    Answer by myownhappiness at 1:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • call cps, you could prevent those kids from seriously getting hurt.

    Answer by MommyBre21 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • if you think she knows, but won't do anything I'd contact the police. What are you waiting for? this is a sex offender around children.

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

  • If she is your friend, have you spoken to her? If she is not receptive, I would try to find out who his parole officer is (if you let someone at parole know, actually they will do the finding out) - I would call CPS, her parents, and anybody else who would listen. If the guy were truly "reformed" he wouldn't be around children, because he would be sincere about getting rehabilitated, adhering to rules, etc. The key is to do something and soon - if the guy is up to his old ways, your friends children don't stand a chance and he's probably grinning like a kid in a candy store - yuck.

    Answer by pocmom at 2:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2011