When is the Right age for your daughter.........

When do you think is the right age for your daughter to get an exam and get on birth control even of they are not having sex but you just want to make sure they dont bring babies right now. What is your opinion!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I was thinking when she got her period, i would put her on birth control.
    MommyBre21

Answer by MommyBre21 at 1:33 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My daughter is 14 and on birth control but if they are not having sex they don't need an exam. Her dr just prescribed the pill with no exam.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:37 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• you intend to force this girl into this? if you are talking about putting her on the birth control pill most doctors won't do it under these circumstances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• If she's not having sex I wouldn't insist she take the pill unless she also needed it to control heavy bleeding or cramps...it's still her body and I don't think that's something that should automatically be done regardless of whether or not it's needed. Open communication about what's going on with her body and her sexual activity, or lack of sexual activity, can help in making an appropriate choice that involves her input as well, since it's her that's going to be dealing with taking it every day, side effects, etc. She's the one that is going to have to make the choices for her entire life, she should be armed with as much information and options as possible so she will be ready to make smart desicions when the time comes, rather than being accustomed to someone telling her what to do in such a personal matter.
    lipstickclouds

Answer by lipstickclouds at 1:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have a 14 yr old & couldn't imagine putting her on birth control until at least 16 yrs.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:46 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Great answers /advice ladies...I am not forcing either of my daughters...I just wanted and needed to hear from other mom's!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My daughter has had ovarian cysts and horrible cramps since starting her period, and she finally tried (and likes!) the Nuvaring type of birth control this year at age 15. I think the more you discuss your opinion of birth control, why you think it's important for her to be prepared, and what sort of behavior you expect from her regaring her sexuailty, the better. You have to let her have a pretty big say in the matter, which will be far better off than just "putting" her on birth control, especially if she "thinks" it's completely her idea. She has to learn to take responsibility for her actions and decisions, so this is a pretty big step toward that. I also talked with my 12 year old about what she thinks about girls who use birth control. Are they loose? Slutty? Smart? Immoral? Leaders? That will tell you a lot about how she feels about sexuality, which is just as important as preventing pregnancy.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:06 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• lets put it this way, i believe that you should make you daughter feel that she can talk to you about anything. and if this is the case she will ask you to put her on birth control. should this day ever come just go with it. i asked my mom to put me on birth control because i felt like i could talk to her. she was stubborn though and would not do it. so although i felt comfortable withe her and she never got mad at me for the request, she did not let me get the pill and i still ended up having sex. unsafe might i add.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 2:38 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well, I was put on BC when I was 14, but it was mostly for medical reasons. I had to beg my mom for a year to take me to an OB/GYN because I didn't think my severe cramps were normal (turns out they weren't, but IDK what causes them to be so bad). For DD, I hope that she grows up knowing she can talk to me about anything, because I'm not going to raise her thinking that sex, nudity, birth control, etc. are bad, dirty things like I was raised being taught. If she isn't already, by the time she's 16 I'll take her.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:47 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Our ped had told me no need for the gyn until 18 unless they are sexually active or having menstrual issues. My dd did come to me when she became active and at that point we did go to the gyn.
    JanetR74

Answer by JanetR74 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 12, 2011