Help! I am so stupid! Ugh...

Okay, I was in a hurry at the store today when I went to get formula and I accidentally grabbed the Older infant/Toddler formula...its ages 9-24mths....my baby is only 3 months old, and I didnt realize the mistake, until just now in the middle of the night when I opened it!!! I dont know when I'll be able to get back to the store, Im thinking maybe not even until friday....do u think it would be safe to use it for just 3 days? I compared ingredients, and the only difference is it has about twice as much calcium and phosphorus as regular formula. Other than that all the nutritional values are the same...anyone know if its safe?? I did a google search but couldnt find any answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• No 24 hour grocery store? I don't know if I'd risk it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't think I would either
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 1:48 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't think it's safe at higher level for your newborn.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 1:49 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It's probably safe, but without knowing what the specific differences are between infant and toddler formula, I would be concerned that it would irritate your dear baby's tummy. Not generally life threatening, but you'd avoid it I'm sure if you could. Does your insurance company have a nurse line you can call? They can often give you a sound answer without waking up your pediatrician...maybe it would be perfect with a little extra water added to dilute, or perhaps it'll be fine with no major upsets, but nurse lines are great for questions like this!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well, she sleeps mostly through the night, so I may only have to give her a bottle or two, and then I will try to get to the store first thing in the morning. Finally found some results on google, and its not life threatening, but COULD cause gas, or upset tummy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• with my eldest i didnt even use formula i used carnation milk. i did 1/4 cup of milk to 3/4 cups of water and he is fine today. so if you have carnation milk you could do that.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 2:34 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Too much calcium can cause problems, but only at very high levels. An adult can safely take up to 2,500 milligrams of calcium per day. The upper limit of calcium intake for a child has not been specified. Unfortunately, there is extremely limited data to determine the mineral requirement of infants over one year. One study of healthy infants from 21 to 33 months showed a large range in calcium intake from 600 to 1200 milligrams
    Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 3:09 AM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I dont think I would risk the chance of upsetting her stomach.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 5:24 AM on Jul. 12, 2011